820 3330 dead

EJS

820-3330 board, customer states the were using the machine, heard a popping noise and smelled a burning odor. Board is not liquid damaged, and dont see any physical damage. PPBUS_G3H is dead short, when I inject votage the board heats up right around the corner of the CPU, but it really seems like the heat is coming from inside the board. I dont really have high hopes for this one, but thought I would ask. I have used IPA and freeze spray as well, and the heat dissipates in the same fassion as it looks on

Attachments

• photo1984.jpg
    photo1984.jpg
    612.3 KB · Views: 1

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Too much hurry to inject tension.
You MUST first which power rail is first.
In your case seems like an high-side MOSFET is shorted.
Find it, remove and see if PPBUS_G3H is OK.
A low value from PCH/CPU can look at short on PPBUS_G3H...

EJS

2informaticos, I have littarly just checked every single rail, non are short, all VCORE look good. The only rail short is PPBUS.

EJS

2informaticos, I dont know what you mean by 200 ohms scale? Are you asking for ohms readings on l7030 and l7530?

EJS

Resistance to ground on L7030 is .07ohms
Resistance to ground on L7530 is .09ohms
Resistance between both coils is 1.2ohms

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
If you really have 0.09ohm=90miliohm, CPU is fried.
CPU should have aprox 1-1.5ohm, if is i7.
I think you don't post correct the values...

Left one side of L7510/20/30 and see if PPBUS_G3H goes high.

EJS

2informaticos, I appreciate your help unfortunately I had to return the machine to the customer. Those are the correct values 100%. Someone else suggested that the machine was probably dropped forcing the heat sink pillar into the board shorting out the trace. Thats exactly what it looked like to me. I didnt consider that pillar at first, but it makes perfect sense. Thanks for taking the time to help.