820 3208 - no green light, liquid damage

Atomrepair

Previous work done on this one.
at first, PPBUS_G3H and PP3V42

U7000 was poorly soldered, replaced it just to be sure.

No green light. Checked with three different I/O boards.
SYS_ONEWIRE is hovering somewhere between 0 and 1.2V.
SMC_BCACOK = 3.4V
SMC_RESET_L = 3.4V

PPBUS_G3H = 8.2V

I've replaced the SMC, but the one I used was in a poor state (looked like crap). I only had one donor board and it looked like shit.
I'm waiting on another donor to arrive, but was wondering if the SMC is a sure thing with the above info or if there's anything else to check?

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
You don't need to connect LIO board until get correct value for PPBUS_G3H, 8.4-8.5V.
Check SMC_PM_G2_EN, SMC_ADAPTER_EN, PM_SLP_SUS_L, PM_BATLOW_L.

Atomrepair

SMC_PM_G2_EN 0V, 19KOhm
SMC_ADAPTER_EN 0V, 10KOhm
PM_SLP_SUS_L 0V, 97.8KOhm
PM_BATLOW_L. 20mV, 7.1MOhm

Had some trouble figuring out where SMC_ADAPTER_EN was generated, as the 820-3208 pdf shows it as an INPUT for the SMC. Checked a pdf for another one and found out its actually generated by the SMC...

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Check basic SMC voltages and signals; block (2 of 2) on page 40.
Also check PCH's RTC signals.
C1802/03 fail a lot on this board.

Atomrepair

I was missing PP3V3_S5_AVREF_SMC, but it turns out U5010 was missing from the board. Placed one on the board which restored it, but not done yet. Current measurements:
SMC_PM_G2_EN0V19k
SMC_ADAPTER_EN0V10k
PM_SLP_SUS_L0V97,8k
PM_BATLOW_L20mV7,1M
C18023,4V
C18033,4V
PP3V3_S5_SMC3,4V
PP3V3_S5_AVREF_SMC3,3V
PP1V2_S5_SMC_VDDC1,19V
SMC_RESET_L3,4V
SMC_WAKE_L3,1V
SMC_CLK32K0V
SMC_EXTAL1,2V
SMC_XTAL0,2-0,5V
U1800
PM_PWRBTN_L0V26KOhm
PM_SYSRST_L0V20KOhm
PM_RSMRST_L0V108KOhm
PLT_RESET_L0V7MOhm

PP3V3_S5 is at 0V. I though it was present because PP3V3_S5_SMC was there, but I see the two arent directly related. I'll see if I can find out why PP3V3_S5 isnt there next.

Atomrepair

Haven't been able to find a 3208 yet, so I''ll wait until one comes along. I did, as a test, place an SMC from an 3209. Logicboard works fine after that, so its safe to assume that itll work with a 3209 SMC just as well. Feel free to mark this solved and thanks for the help!

Atomrepair

Already did. there are no errors, but I'm told the firmware on this SMC is slightly different and may cause software issues in the future. I already have a functional original board lying around now. Just to be sure, I'll keep the one with the wrong SMC and give the one with the proper SMC to the customer. Then, when I come across the right SMC, I'll place that. Or, I'll just keep the board as is and use it when I need to test stuff.