820-2936 Board Not Charging, Green Light, Turning On

mccafe

Hello,

I have a board that turns on, but does not charge and will only run off the adaptor. I switched it with a known good battery and it still will not charge, but it can run off the battery only if I first turn it on with the adaptor connected. Green light on charger and never turns orange.

PPBUS_G3H is 12.3 volts.

There is evidence of work done to this board already from a different repair shop specifically Q7035 and Q7030 is not the original transistors and looks to be pulled from an Air board. I replaced the transistors as well as the ISL, but still get only 12.3 volts. CHGR_CSI and CHR_CSO circuitry I think is good.

Help please!

mccafe

It does not recognize the battery in OS. Every time I try to check the box to enable battery percentage, it unchecks itself.

JohnB8812

Ok so then this is an issue around the SMBUS data lines. 12.3 volts means the SMC is not running. Any corrosion or signs of liquid near it? Might be a good idea to remove the edge bonding around the SMC and run flux under it with heat. Clean out any crap under it.

mccafe

Looks like the SMC was replaced or reballed before. There is little to no space in-between the chip and the board and the edge bonding is gone. I'll give it a try thank you.

JohnB8812

Ewww not fun. I'd say reflow then first to see if any change. If no change, probably bad SMC from whoever replaced it before :(

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Post resistance value to ground for SCL/SDA of battery bus.
You should get less than 1% difference.
If not, remove D6950 (if present) and check again.
If still bad, possibly SMC issue...