820-3330, Is this GPU Failure?

SMMRepair

Working on an 820-3330 board that fails a ton of external video tests only (all internal pass, MUX tests pass, but 8 or 9 external video tests--mainly the rendering tests--fail, etc), and board performs OK until under even moderate stress, then it starts artifacting. I've uploaded a short video showing the anomaly which can be seen here: https://imgur.com/a/YN2Zc9P

I have hope it may not be GPU, only because I've NEVER seen this particular type of artifacting on this board. The blue triangles show constantly while running heaven, but no anomalies when just performing normal tasks, so I don't think it's the GMUX either. Was suspecting damage to board, but no caps or anything missing from GPU face or area of board. Now thinking possibly VRAM.

Any ideas? Should I reflow GPU or is this a bad chip?

SMMRepair

No, these artifacts (in the video) are on the internal LCD. I haven't even bothered testing external functionality yet, because the internal is distorted as shown, etc. :)

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
"board that fails a ton of external video tests only (all internal pass"
I understood totally other thing...

Reflow VRAM and see if change.

SMMRepair

Thanks! Yes, it's confusing; it fails external video tests in ASD, but the artifacting shows on the internal LCD under stress. I'll reflow and confirm--thank you! Sorry for any confusion, but yes it's certainly confusing. I was hoping to find damage around the GMUX, but no luck.