820-00165 battery not detected

ielectron

it was liquid damaged around the lcd connector, there is picture but not backlight, i replaced the lcd connector on the board, and the lcd cable, now the laptop works fine but wont detect the battery even a new battery, but the original battery is good too, in another macbook its works fine, now i charged it and put it back, the laptop turns on with power button when the charger is connected, but not when only on battery, and it wont charge.

the reading on J6950 battery connector is :

9: 0V
8: 0V
7: 0V
6: 0.2V
5: 3.4V (jumping, guess its the SMC communication)
4: 3.4V (jumping, guess its the SMC communication)
3: 8.3V
2: 8.3V
1: 8.3V

i dont see water anywhere, only arounf the lcd connector, SMC area clean, the ressittors R5380 R5381 for battery-SMC communication are good

i replaced u7100, same thing, the 16. leg on u7100 which controls Q7155 is 8.1V, but it should be aound 1.5V to turn on Q7155

G3H is only 8.1V, i think that is supposed ti be 8.6V, but works fine except the battery

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
PPBUS_G3H voltage on charger only?
It should be aprox 8.5V.
8.1-8.3V means problem on battery bus.
Could be SMC, or ISL6259, not necessary bad battery.
Post diode mode readings on SCL/SDA lines; red probe to ground.
You must get less than 1% difference...
Also post CHGR_AMON and CHGR_BMON voltage.
Check resistance between pins 17/18 and 27/28.

JohnB8812

Yep measure PPBUS without the battery charger only. If 8.5, then bad battery. If 8.1, then issue around the ISL or SMC more than likely. SMC often the cause.

ielectron

g3h is now 8.2 after ultrasonic bath, but still lower than 8.5, its the same 8.2V with or without battery

in diode mode, on J6950
5: 0.498V
4: 0.503V

JohnB8812

Yeah so either bad ISL or bad SMC more than likely. I always replace ISL first just in case, but SMC is often the cause.

JohnB8812

Yep so next step is replace SMC. You can give it a nice reflow first just to see if that does it, but if not, has to be replaced.

JohnB8812

Lol nice. I would test it extensively before giving it back to customer prob ultrasonic it again as well. I have had boards where you can heat the SMC and it will work, but when it cools, it stops working. Definitely test it thoroughly before calling it good.