Macbook Pro 13" 2015 Rebuild - No Serial Written To Logic Baord

stormraker

Hi Guys

I recently repaired a badly moisture damaged Mac book Pro 13" (Early 2015 I believe)
Details:
Model 1502
EMC 2835

I replaced the keyboard, SSD and main logic board.

After I did this I re-installed the OS and updated to Mojave no problems everything is working great apart from the fact I realised I couldnt login to iMessages and Facetime.
After a little research I think the issue is down to the fact that My new logic board has no serial number written to it as per the photograph that is attached of the About Mac dialog box.

What would you guys recommend to help solve this issue?

Any help would be gratefully received as this is the only thing left now for the machine to fully operational again. So close yet so far its so frustrating!

Thank you

Gabi :)

PS Should you require any further information please just ask! :)

Attachments

• photo2118.jpg
    photo2118.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 1

Alan.L

can you try the Blank Board Serializer ? not sure if this will work on 2015 boards tho but worth a try.

if doesn't work then you will need to dump the bios and add the serial manually.
also, can you give me a copy of this bios, i always wanted a blank serial 820-4924 dump because they are worth to keep.

Last edited:

stormraker

Hi Alan,

I dont actually have the BBS.

I'm not sure how to do the bios dump but happy to give it a try if it helps you out.

Would just need some instructions on how to do it thats all!

Thanks Gabi

Alan.L

see link, you will need a USB stick, go to disk utility and restore this image.

link deleted*

to do a bios dump, you will need a bios programmer like a TL866.

Last edited:

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Medusa 2 will help you a lot, especially if you plan to repair more Apple stuff.
It can write new serial and correct checksum; which is affected after change ssn.
And it can do all the job without removing the BIOS chip!

stormraker

Thanks for that Alan,

Yeah the BBS doesnt work on the 2015 MBP so I would need to order a TL866 and an SPI serial data lead aswell to take a dump.
I've never actually done BIOS dump before so I'm going to have a think about what is the best course of action as it maybe cheaper for me to just find someone who has the equipment. As the bits needed would take a few weeks to come through anyway.
If I decided to go ahead and get the programmer and lead would you help me through it?
Thanks Gabi

Alan.L

i think you definitely have to desolder the bios chip when using TL866 as i do it all the time. there might be another programmer that uses a lead but probably pricey.

MegaObi

Medusa 2 will help you a lot, especially if you plan to repair more Apple stuff.
It can write new serial and correct checksum; which is affected after change ssn.
And it can do all the job without removing the BIOS chip!

informaticos how do u write serial to medusa2?

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Read the BIOS, upload to your PC, write serial, transfer dump back to Mac and fix checksum with Medusa.

The Medusa guy also provides a small keyboard which directly connects with Medusa.
That is the faster way...