Fix the backlight on the actual LCD? Logic board is fine.

brooke.j

Hi,

My question was hard to search for because of all the backlight posts. I was wondering if anyone has had success in fixing a backlight issue on the actual LCD. I have a few A1466 MB AIR early 2014 LCD's laying around that the back light just went out. So many that I'm seeing a pattern here. I've just been replacing the whole assembly or getting just the lcd and replacing that so far but as this model gets older I'm finding the client is less likely to pay for the service even at a reasonable price compared to Apple. I seem to have so many of this year that I'm wondering if it was a known defect or if this particular LCD fails more often.

Just trying to get my cost benefit ratio better for me and my customers and not send a bunch of shit into the recycling if it can last longer for them.

brooke.j

Missing backlight is not commonly LCD issue on Air machines...
Usually problem around LP8550 and many times its A5 ball gets corroded.

I totally get what your saying there for sure! The 3 early 2014 that I have just had a backlight that went out on the actual display or LCD. Putting another LCD on them made them work. Unfortunately, for me and those 3 customers the cost to fix, even when I reduced my profit to half, was just not viable for them. So I was hoping there might be a "known issue" and a fix for the LCD. But trying to search that on google and any forum is like pulling teeth because all you get are vids of Rossmann :) showing how to fix it on the board. LOL

I mean $50 bucks is $50 bucks but I don't think these 3 customers would have even done it if I made no money. Just how it is when devices get old and the price to repair them, even a reasonable price, doesn't seem worth it to the customer. It's not every customer but you know what I mean.

Last edited:

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
To test only video cable, you must open LCD assembly.
Once open it, you can check backlight LEDs, but I don't see this like an easy job; you should dismantle screen itself...

Please, do NOT quote an entire post from few cm above.

brooke.j

Yeah I figured as much. Also I didn't quite understand do not quote entire post from few cm above? Did I do that? And what is CM? Thx

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
"I didn't quite understand do not quote entire post from few cm above? Did I do that?"
I see no reason to repeat/copy ALL the lines from a previous post, placed few centimeters (cm) above.

Quote the lines which you want to refer...

Last edited:

PCTRONICS

When i first started opening cracked screens for lcd replacement i use to fuck them good. are you getting back light output on C8317, have you done diode test on that line? is LP8550 good? is the screen connector have a short? sounds like you need to stockpile some shit. i have at least 30 screens, cracked of course. but if you want to take your business seriously you have to start learning how to get this shit for free or buy it. sounds like you need new customers mate. get rid of them or take a close look at your business structure on how you price your time. never fall to the customers knees or you will forever suck balls.

PCTRONICS

It should take less than 10 mins to remove the screen and bezel. once you have done 5 you should be able to rip it out easily. be careful of the camera, and the diffuser sheets, you bend or scrape those you will know about it. i never seen a bad back light other than the couple i fucked. time to show your measurements.