820-3115-B help needed...

RESQ-MYTECH

Hi Guys. Really odd one. MBP A1278 820-3115-B. Come in for running extremely slow. Normal things, slow boot, cursor judders, slow to load web pages and load apps. Opened it up, no sign of liquid ingress anywhere. board is dusty so blew off with compressed air ( from a compressor not a can). Found that had C6603 blown and U6610 was cracked. Removed both components and saw extensive damage to the logic board, please see attached images. From a donor, I have replaced both and jumped the relevant points U6610 pin 8 to a test point slightly down to the left and and pin 9 to R6612 pin 1. C6603 pin 2 has been jumped to pin 2 on C6607. Now I know all these components are for audio so don't suspect this to be the cause of the issue.
I reassembled the MBP and run the ASD that is already on the machine. In basic and full test there are no faults found, thus discounting a sensor issue ( not fully discounted as yet). I have replaced the RAM, HDD with a clean install, booted from a USB install, changed the HDD ribbon, left the K/B and trackpad not connected and used USB K/B and mouse, left optical/ WiFi board, spk's and camera disconnected, re-pasted the CPU ( it was getting warm but not enough to concern me), reset PRAM and SMC just for good measure and it still runs like dog sh*t.

Any words of wisdom oh guru's of the forums.... :)

Attachments

• 20190128_132318[1].jpg
    20190128_132318[1].jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190128_132340[1].jpg
    20190128_132340[1].jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190128_140120[1].jpg
    20190128_140120[1].jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
"left the K/B and trackpad not connected"
Not connected trackpad will exactly generate this problem.
Palm Rest Temperature sensor not detected by SMC.
You didn't specify high fan spin, or not; pleae confirm the situation.

"camera disconnected"
Also ALS sensor not detected by SMC can generate problem.

"no faults found, thus discounting a sensor issue"
Post entire error message (3-4 text lines) from ASD EFI test.

RESQ-MYTECH

2informaticos
Been tested with the keyboard and touch pad connected, disconnected and touch pad from another A1278 plus new keyboard connected, USB keyboard and mouse connected with and without the original keyboard and touch pad both connected and disconnected, both together and singularly as well.
Again, been tested with and without the camera connected. Unfortunately, at this time I have no 2nd camera and cable available to test with.
Fan spins up on boot and stays consistent ( no high spin/revs).

Images added of both the basic and full ASD

Attachments

• 20190129_151911.jpg
    20190129_151911.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190129_135149.jpg
    20190129_135149.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
I mentioned ASD (EFI version), not AHT.
You told something about some sensor issue...
Not connected trackpad, or bad flex will generate errors; as probably disconnected camera can generate ALS error too.
Connect all the things and run corresponding ASD EFI version (3S144).
You can unmark HDD and Memory.
Also set On Error option to Continue...

RESQ-MYTECH

I mentioned ASD (EFI version), not AHT.
I am sorry, my fault... i used the asd that was on the mbp when pressing D. How stupid of me to think that might be the right one
You told something about some sensor issue...
I said I suspect a sensor issue however this is not confirmed as I said " not fully discounted as yet"
Not connected trackpad, or bad flex will generate errors; as probably disconnected camera can generate ALS error too.
I know this, hence I tried reciprocal parts by way of alleviating any errors. i dont have a spare camera at the mo to try that but i have used another track pad with its cable and a new keyboard
Connect all the things and run corresponding ASD EFI version (3S144).
Cant find a valid link to get this 3S144. All seem to take me to phising sites.... and luckily I know enough to not want to access them.
You can unmark HDD and Memory.
Also set On Error option to Continue...