820-2936-B Rails pulse (except PP3V42 and PPBUS)

djdblaster

Water damage. Cleaned with UC. Checked pins 17/18 and 27/28 at ISL. Changed few resistors and ISL. Fixed Q5300 missing 2 pads and made jumpers for pins 3 and 4.

PP3V42 --- 3.47V
PPBUS ---- 12.59V
PP5V_S5 pulses
PP3V3_S5 pulses
PM_BATLOW_L pulses
SMC_ADAPTER_EN pulses

What could I be missing?

djdblaster

I found U4800 heating. Removed it and PP5V_S3 bumped to 0.105V diode mode. Schematics says Critical Omit. Can I start board without it or first replace/check/etc?

JohnB8812

If that relieved the short, you will be fine without it. It's for the IR controller which is not used by literally anyone. Make sure the short is gone, and if so, see if it starts.

djdblaster

Okay, just plugged in charger. Nothing. It shows on DMM 0.004V diode mode and slowly goes to 0.105V. But no voltage when I connect charger.

djdblaster

After unplugging charger, shows 10 Ohms then goes to more than 6 kOhms. As soon as charger connected, resistance drops to very low like 10 Ohms.

JohnB8812

Do not measure resistance with power applied!!!!! Good way to destroy your multimeter. If it is 6kohms with no power applied, then the short should be gone. You didn't inject voltage with the charger plugged in did you???

djdblaster

I just wanted to edit post above to say clearly that resistance is not measured with power applied.

I didn't inject voltage with charger plugged in.

So, charger connected, board doesn't start. I unplug it, check resistance (10 Ohms and goes slowly to 6 kOhms). Okay, should be good, thinking to myself. Connect charger again, nothing. Unplug it, check resistance, same thing. 10 Ohms to 6 kOhms.

Edit: so whatever gets power on that rail when charger is connected is obviously pulling down whole rail since it gets hot I think. While not hot, it acts "normal"?

JohnB8812

Hmm ok gotcha. Sounds to me like there is still some kind of short on PP5v_S3. Inject voltage and see if there is any current draw.

JohnB8812

Yes for sure. Inject 5 volts and see if any amperage draw. If nothing, then my guess is either U4800 is needed for boot, or there is another issue on the board somewhere.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
There is no short at all.
Allow 10-20s after power removed, before measure continuity on the board.
Any pulse at 5V_S3 now?

djdblaster

I don't understand. I measured diode mode 20 seconds after power was removed and DMM shows 0.110V.

There is no voltage on 5V_S3. Barely goes from 0V to 0.02 and back. 3V3_S3 cycles though.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
0.110 is not low value at all.
Don't write the end "v" when you post diode mode value; can generate confusion with voltage measurment.
We know what diode reading means.

Remove Q7221 and check again all the voltages which pulse before.