820-3115 Green light, Orange light no power

realmacmods

Gets green light, then orange light. Has battery voltage. Has 3v s5 and 5v s5. no s4, no power to efi chip. Feels like SMC issue to me, but would be much happier if it were something else.

Dust everywhere (cleaned) but nothing that looks like liquid damage anywhere. Fan was completely packed with an inch of dust, some im guessing she has been cooking for quite some time.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Post SMC_ADAPTER_EN, PM_BATLOW_L, PM_SLP_SUS_L, 3V3_SUS, S5_PWRGD, PCH_DSWVRMEN, PM_DSW_PWRGD.
Did you try original 60/85W charger?
Does it start in SMC bypass mode?

realmacmods

SMC_ADAPTER_EN, 3.451

PM_BATLOW_L, 0

PM_SLP_SUS_L, 3.329

3V3_SUS, 0

S5_PWRGD, 3.45

PCH_DSWVRMEN, 3.212

PM_DSW_PWRGD. 3.488

Original 60w as well as thunderbolt display ( which i think is a built in 85W)

No difference with SMC bypass

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Post U7940 voltages.
If SMC_BATLOW_L is also low, usually means incorrect charger.
Try known good original charger.
Or try to start with battery connected at same time; with some charge on it.

realmacmods

Whatever is going on must be intermittent. for no obvious reason i got 3v sus at the efi chip and the cpu got warm. fan wasn't plugged in so couldn't verify fan spin. Unplugged to plug in LCD, gone. Trying charger and battery dance with no change. Seems to be a slight barely visible flicker on the charger light

realmacmods

no luck. Battery has a charge on it for sure. Reflowed smc with no clean flux. Nothing changed. stomped away in anger left it plugged in to 60W charger. came back in the room a half hour later and it was running and booted up. shutdown, tried to turn on again, nothing. Back to no EFI chip power

EDIT: Reflowed smc again. now get consistent fan spin with power button and charger plug in. No chime no display internal or external

Last edited:

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Reball SMC.
If no result, then change it.
It could got damaged in the two reflows; or some balls melt underneath.