820-3437 issues

ytesfay80

I have a 2013 13" Macbook Air that had beer spill damage. There was corrosion around SMC and wifi card and a little on DC in-board. It was not turning on at all and no light on the charger. After putting it in the ultrasonic it worked but the fan spins on high even though the trackpad and everything necessary is plugged in. The machine boots up and everything and I am able to log in but if I push spots around the board (such as I/O board cable ) it will just shut off or if I plug in a USB or something while logged in it will shut off.

The I/O board connector(J9500) that is on the logic board is missing the gold pin(49) which connects to ground. I tried soldering a small piece of wire in there to solve this problem but that didn't help anything. Could that bad connector be causing these problems? I have a donor board that has this connector but I don't know how I would replace it without burning the connector from the donor board like when removing an lcd connector.

I have tested with a different power board and cable.

I am trying to run ASD but I am waiting on the password from the owner.

Here are images of the connector where I put the small piece of wire on the top left pin https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4isuqcas6...L5ugJoMua?dl=0

Update: After putting the back cover on the machine and using it for about 10 minutes I didn't have any random shutoffs after inserting a usb or hitting the back cover but the fan is still spinning on high.

Last edited:

ytesfay80

I ran the EFI version of ASD but I got no errors except that the fan is running high. Should I go ahead and replace the J9500 IO connector? Also, what would be the best way to take it off of the donor board without melting it?

Here is the image of the EFI test results https://www.dropbox.com/s/rdfv0xhqd321022/DSCN1036.JPG?dl=0

The OS version also only gave me errors relating to the fan motor.
These are the results from the OS version test https://www.dropbox.com/s/h0dkip9fo87l5r9/DSCN1037.JPG?dl=0

I turned the machine on with another fan and it still spun on high so I don't think the fan is the issue.

Last edited:

aprendiz

for remove the connector from donor board... If you have preheater, set it on 350ºC and hot air station on 280ºC, it will come off easily..... if you don have preheater, set the hot air station at Max and apply heat from the bottom.... The dropbox links are not working on the second message

ytesfay80

Sorry about that. I edited the links correctly so now they should work.
Couple of questions. Do you think that missing ground pin of the connector could be causing the fan to spin high. I just don't want to replace that hard component if it won't be the cause.
Also, I don't have a preheater so would putting the heat on max damage the components on the bottom side of the board? Should I try putting the board in the oven for a little while to help it come off easier?

Last question. What preheater do you use? Hakko?

aprendiz

I use Hakko FR-830, this method is only for remove the connector from donor board......... I dont think the missing ground pins is the problem, maybe flex is not sitting in the way it should.... Also dont forget to check keyboard flex, motherboard side and touch side, maybe corrosion there..

ytesfay80

I pressed on the I/O flex cable(logic board side) at different angles after plugging the charger in and sometimes it would make the machine shut off and fan stop spinning.

There is no corrosion or anything on the trackpad side. I tested with a new trackpad/keyboard combo as well as tpad cable and the fan still spun on high.

I'm afraid to replace the connector and potentially do damage and it not solve this issue. Is there anything else I can check before having to replace the connector?

dukefawks

Administrator
Power it up without the flat cable and see if it still shuts down. These boards will auto power on without a green light.

ytesfay80

Some weird things have been happening.
I plugged the charger in without the io cable it did the on/off 3 times but on the first spin it spinned normally and the next 2 it spun on high.
I pressed the connector on both sides and other places on the board and that did not make it shut off.

I put the original cable back on and tried pressing around but that didn't cause it to shut off either. I also tried with a new replacement cable and that still didn't cause it to shut off.
(I did these tests with and without the trackpad plugged in.)

ytesfay80

Replaced the connector and fan still spins high. I ordered a new I/O board since both the ones I've tried have some signs of liquid damage (red probe points).

dukefawks

Administrator
If ASD has no errors and fan spins high the fan could be missing the speed control signal. First try a known good fan and then check SMC_FAN_0_CTL

ytesfay80

I measured for SMC_FAN_0_CTL on R6061 as well as on a probe point. on R6061 I got 3.33v on pin 1 and 3.30v on pin 2. R6061 measured 100k ohms
On the probe point I measured w/o the trackpad plugged in and got 0.047v. While the machine does the on/off 3 times I kept the multimeter on the probe and measured. In the first half a second its turning on the highest voltage I saw was about 0.8v.

SMC_SENSOR_PWR_EN - 3.4v

Does this mean there is an issue with the SMC?

Here are images of the SMC (I removed the edge bonding with low heat before the first time I put it in the ultrasonic)
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/igze8i6txurldr1/AAC7eCeBPJmPFYwpc7epgEg-a?dl=0

Last edited:

ytesfay80

Yes. It spins at 100% immediately after plugging the charger in. I also tried with another known working fan.

Last edited:

dukefawks

Administrator
You said you did measure different voltages on SMC_FAN_0_CTL, so that must at least translate in the fan spinning a different speed. If not then there is only a few parts between SMC_FAN_0_CTL and the fan.

ytesfay80

The only time there was a different voltage was on the very beginning once the fan starts spinning and it was for probably one millisecond. it happened really fast. Is it possible for there to be a short to ground on SMC_FAN_0_CTL?
Should I just wait for the dc in board to come in wednesday or is there anything else I can check for?

Also, is there a reason why R6061 is 3.33v and 3.30 on pin 2. Doesn't the side of pin 2 need to be significantly lower in order than the gate for the Q6060 mosfet to open up?

Update: There are some probe points in that fan connector area that show signs of liquid damage. I saw some blue marks on the probe point above Q6060(Probe 1 - PP3V3_S0_FAN) and Probe 186.

Is it possible for me to inject voltage on SMC_FAN_0_CTL and see if the fan spin slows down?

Last edited:

ytesfay80

Anything else I can try?

I just tested with a new I/O Board, flex cable, and fan and still the same issue with the fan spinning high.

Last edited:

dukefawks

Administrator
At this point I would say there is crap under the SMC or it is just bad. Pull and reball or replace, whatever you fancy.