820 3437 not switch on, but charging battery

leonattpcs

MacBook Air 820 3437 board, charges as it shows green light then red light, no fan spin.
Found short on pin 2 of F7140 and the component itself is burnt out anyway. Removed F7140, short still there removed q5500, short still there. Injected 8.5v into the line, and something is pulling more than 5A. Using freeze spray, C7543 gets hot straight away and nothing else. Haven't removed it yet, but this component isn't even on the voltage line I have injected voltage into, so how can that be?
Thanks
To add to that, I have found a short on the voltage line for C7620 which. That cap and C7543 are on S5 voltage lines.

And adding again, I have found shorts on:
ppbus_s5_hs_computing_isns
ppbus_s5_hs_other_isns
Looking at the schematic these look to be fed by ppbus_g3h, so if one of them has a short, then I am guessing all if them will have a short?
Thanks again

Last edited:

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Injecting 8.5V into PPBUS_G3H which could go to CPU (caused by shorted high-side MOSFET), is a good way to kill CPU.
So many times explained here how NOT to inject voltage on PPBUS_G3H...

Why did you start with 8.5V???

leonattpcs

I didn't know of any risk on the processor. Why start with anything lower than the actual voltage for the voltage line. Found the problems anyway. Replaced all components mentioned and the battery, switching on like usual now.