820-00165-A shutdown after 10 minutes

Dewanbd

This unit is shutdown every 10 minuites and heat sink temperature when goes 66C then it shutdown.
I changes heatsink and fan, but no luck.Any idea what to do.No liquid damaged history.Thanks.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like ME region issue.
Clean it with Medusa, if available.
If not, search the forum; clean BIOS, just for test, already uploaded...

Dewanbd

i got it from another sours and rewrite the bios , now looks like not getting hot but it doesn't detect the SSD.

SMMRepair

2informaticos : Not to derail the thread at all, but for general knowledge and future reference: what leads you to suspect the BIOS/ME is the issue in this case? Why would the ME region be related to a random-shutdown issue, without any additional information? Why not suspect bad RAM, faulty CPU/PCH, SMC, etc? I've seen many of these 00165 boards that have random-shutdown issues, all with no liquid damage or anything at all. Some last hours, some last a few minutes. Have tried BIOS (new dump and force-update/manual clean), as well as new SMC, reflow RAM (among other things) on many of them with no luck, so just curious as the reason you suspected BIOS right off the bat. Thanks! :)

I resolved 2 of them successfully; on both, the issue was with U7501/FETs. Replaced and boards continued to work fine. This did not work for several others; was hoping there would be some specific type of common fault, but it wasn't so. Also considered that many of these clean "random shutdown" boards might be manifesting symptoms that prelude the failure of one of the front tantalum caps that occurs on these every now and then. If not, I suspect they were all dropped at some point. None fail RAM tests, but maybe CPU damage. Anyway, just a thought.

Last edited:

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
In this case is not random shutdown.
Usually suspect ME region when machine turns off at the same time...

SMMRepair

Interesting--thanks. I knew RAM, bad CPU (after a few starts) would typically cause shutdown at similar intervals of time, so good to know BIOS/ME can have the same effect. Thanks!

Dewanbd

I am trying to use the same HD but not boot up. I reinstall os on other good unit and back it to original unit but it is not boot up. Its hang after awhile. I tried different good SSD same issue.Any idea ??

SMMRepair

Perform clean install of OSX using that exact board/drive and try again (or force update via bless/mount). Sounds like you still have ME region issues.

Dewanbd

I uploaded original one and now it boot from usb osx but when tried to boot from original HD it shows stop sign. I did reformat/partition it with other mac and tried to load os from online but it shows stop sigh again.Any idea what should i do.