820-01041 liquid damaged

arnonabuurs

Hi, I have a liquid damaged 820-01041 (macbook pro 15 inch touchbar 2018), board looks pretty clean. Doesnt turn on, but is taking a charge 20v and 2.x A. I have no schematics for this board. What other board comes close that is available?

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
No schematic available.
Does it charge the battery?
2A is high current for non working board.
Did you try to start in SMC bypass mode?
Any USB activity?
Liquid signs around CPU, or backlight area, LCD connector?

arash

I have the same board with water damage and the exact same problem, it takes 1.4 Amp, turns on and shows an empty battery sign, but doesn't charge the battery(or a new battery) and then turns off and goes to 0 Amp, what is SMC bypass mode? How can I try the SMC bypass mode?

arnonabuurs

I finally got the boardview and schematics for this board so back at it. Now when I connect the charger, I get 20v and 0.9A. Does this mean the charge circuit works but its not booting?

arnonabuurs

I checked all the power lines and I am missing PP5V_S4, so I will get started from there. Here are all the readings, 12.63 on PPBUS seems too low?

Charge = 20v 0.08A
PPBUS_G3H = 12.63
PP3V3_G3H = 3.39
PP3V0_G3H = 3v
PP5V_S5 = 5.13v
PP5V_S4 = 0v

Last edited:

arnonabuurs

I have the boardview for 01041 but the schematics that came with it only had 3 pages :(. Anyway, I checked for enable signal P5VG3S_EN and its 3.3, so i tried to replace U7650, now i get 1v at P5VG3S_VFB1, no short, assuming thats the outgoing 5v signal since i dont have schematics.

I will check these other values when im back at office tomorrow, thanks.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
"P5VG3S_EN and its 3.3"
In such case, 5V_G3S power supply is enabled.

"i get 1v at P5VG3S_VFB1"
This copuld be good, as is the feedback input.
Check if R7677-79 are good, as their traces too.
Also check R/C7609 and R7665.
Post diode mode on L7600.