iMac Late 2012 Retina 27" random shutdown issue - is there a solution yet?

Fizzl92

Hello,
i had quiet a few of the 2012 27" Retina iMacs here that work fine (if the customes shows up) but randomly turn off. I could verify that issue and testet these machines alot. I am pretty sure that its a probem with the MLB as i could rule out virtually everything else at this point. I had another one of these machines here taday and customer would really like to get it fixed. So i am just curious if this is a wide spread issue and if there is any fix right now...

Fizzl92

Thank you for the answers. Yes it turns off completely. I forgot to mention that it also wont turm back on after it turned itshelf off. I need to unplug the power cable to get it back up running. Also sometimes i need to unplugging it multiple times until is turns on again.
Unfortunately i dont have a known good BIOS here - and this machine is mostly working... Just 1 dead donor. Is there a known good file on this Forum or should i try the bios from my donor? I will order a few more donors for this model now...

Fizzl92

Actually i dont know yet. I told the customer that i see if i can find a solution/idea for this problem as i already disassembeled some of these machines testet another power supply and other stuff and glued them back together without success. So i dont want to do this work again if i dont have a new idea. So i told him to call back in a few days. If he is corfortable taking the risk of me trying something on his mostly working machine i?ll get back to this. Otherwise i catch up on this post if the next customer brings one in that he wants me to open. Hope he agrees :)
Thank you!