820-00165-02, After Board repair no OS installation possible

hobbyist

Hey folks,

on this MacBook Air I did a repair after having a short on PPBUS_S5_HS_COMPUTING_ISNS. I changed the defect parts C7374 and F7140 and the fan was spinning and the device turned back on. Though the battery was drained to 0V I replaced it with a new one.

But then the problems started. When I turned on the MacBookit booted directly into the OSx utility. There I formated the HDD and restarted the device.
From here I couldn't get back into the menu and only had the option for internet recovery. The internet recovery never went through or when it did after quite some time, the screen just turned black and nothing else happend.

I managed to get into the diagnosis program (cmd + d or alt+d --> I don't remember exactly) which showed no problem.

Then I created a bootable USB stick (on another Mac --> redowloaded Yosemite directly via Appstore/purchases) with the terminal command

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Stick --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app --nointeraction

and booted from the stick. It shows the apple icon, I got into the OS x utility, saw the Macintosh HD and went on with the installation. First time I got there the error was smth like "some file couldnt be extracted from xxx.pkg" -> restart

The second time I tried to install it I got an error log showing smth with streamcompressor error [417] couldn't write 65xxxx bits to some location.

The third try ended up with a simple message pop up "Mac OS couldn't be installed on this machine" (the original OS was 10.10 Yosemite).

Now, on my 4th attempt, it's stuck on the apple logo with the progress bar being half way through after like 3 hrs.

Of course the first things I was doing was resetting Ram and SMC.

From here I have no idea what to do.

Tomorrow I will re open it and check all rails again but I'm no where near as experienced when it comes to macs. I have everything on my hands (schematic and boardview brd), so I can basicly check everything board level wise.

My wild guess would be, that the SSD has a defect but I don't have any tools, or a replacement one, to check this (but since the diagnosis didn't show any problem, I might be wrong)

Thanks in advance for any help.
Greetings from Germany.

//e: Ok so I just tried it for the 5th time and now the error is (roughly translated) ""the additionally needed components for the installation of OS x couldn't be loaded / downloaded". When I just try to do another installation it doesn't show the Macintosh HD anymore.

I have tried this in 3 different W-Lans btw.

Last edited:

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
First be sure to use original 60/85W Magsafe 2 charger.
Next, disconnect battery, remove internal SSD and test if it works correctly with USB OSX; I recommend El Capitan for such test.
Any liquid signs on the MLB?
If get stuck on the progress bar, I recommend you to try clean ME BIOS.

BTW, set time/date before start the instalation of new OSX; in case you get any error again.

hobbyist

Thanks for your answer.

There are absolutely no signs of water/liquid damage on the board. Since I started to search for the defect quite toroughly (didn't check for short on main rail first....) I inspected the board under the microscope and there was no indication of any liquid.

What is the ME BIOS?

Time and date seems like a solid tip due to the error log showing always a date quite far in the past.

Will report back.

Additionally I will try to get my hands on a firewire cable and try an install via TDM.

//e: I'm using the original charger which was delivered with the MacBook

//e2: first try with el capitan endet in a big error log (it got stuck on the apple logo after having copied everything from the stick). But I didnt managed to save the file on the USB stick or root since it says that I don't have the needed permissions to do so...... what the actual fuck is with this apple shit.
The error log didn't show anything understandable. Only stuff like error 518 quise or quice smth.... Ill make a screenshot with my mobile when I do the next round.

//e3: So next round a win for apple.

Here are the pictures from the error

https://imgur.com/a/AjpmPPo

//e4: After some hesitation I called apple. I have no idea what to say. This guy asked me about anything from apple-id to my name and stuff like this. He told me to delete the macointosh hd again and reinstall the os. I did as told and wohooo for the first time of this misery it asked about the apple-id and password. Since it was sending a code for verification to a mobile which wasn't close, we had to close the call so I could reach the person with the phone.......
Did it, got the code and now the error was "this app isn't available for download" when trying to install el capitan. Called them again, ofc I got another guy on the hotline and he said "your macbook is defect"...wohooo...qualified help there. He didn't do jack and told me to go to the next apple store (220km away).

Last edited:

hobbyist

Case solved. The SSD was defect. I got my hands on mojave and created a bootable USB Stick and installed it on an external HDD and it went through w/o a single problem.
But the funny thing is, it turned out, that the SSD inside was not the original SSD. The customer had never changed it. After I asked them they told me they were in some kind of apple reseller shop which made a data transfer for them. I guess they put in a defect SSD since they told the customer that the mac isn't fixable.
It's a wild guess and I have no real evidence except for some traces on the connections of the SSD and some kind of flux on the under side (which I found after inspecting this thing with the microscope).

Thanks nonetheles