820-00165 wont load OSX

Kyle93

Have a 820-00165 that had very minor liquid damage which occurred on the right side of the computer.. Store claims it came in still turning on but just wouldn't load OSX all the way. I have tried loading my test OSX but I always have same issue. They replaced board and it loaded fine after that. They put this board in ultrasonic before I received and the only minor liquid spots I see are by the SMC.

Do not know where to begin on a repair like this. Should SMC be reballed first in this case or should I check something else? Board overall looks very clean. Cant find any obvious damaged components.

JohnB8812

Reballing/replacing the SMC would be a good start to rule it out. Inspect very closely by U6100, U1900, U1950 for corroded resistors, chips, traces etc. Pre-ultrasoniced boards can suck because you never know if anything was near the CPU to begin with

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
I recommend to reball SMC, if you already detect corrosion near it.
It is also close to SPI chip (U6100), so BIOS corruption is possible.
If no result after reball, then need to try clean ME BIOS.
Also check J6100 and remove it, if suspect.

Kyle93

What programmer do you need to reprogram bios? All I have is the TL866A

Hoping SMC replacement solves issue.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
TL866 is OK, but you need to remove the chip and use an adapter.
I posted some pictures with my adapter in the forum; use search function if needed.
However, let the BIOS as last option...

Kyle93

SMC had corrosion under it so at first replaced SMC.

After replacing SMC board takes several seconds to start up before you hear the chime and it turns off within 30 seconds after the chime. No question mark folder or apple logo. Thought maby had bad SMC from donar so decided to put original SMC on.

Same problem with original SMC now. Is this a bios issue? Should I check something else?