820-00165 no green light nor power dead PPVRTC_G3H

MexicoTV

Hello all,

I have this 810-00165-A board with no power or green light. I have verified the G3H voltage rails and have found PPVRTC_G3H rail to be missing. I traced it back to U1900 and found that itself is not getting any voltages except PP3V42_G3H on pin 13. The rest of the missing voltages are S5 voltages. Is S5 supposed to come on even when a light has not been produced at the charger tip? PP3V3_S5 and PP5V_S5 are both missing atm. Furthemore the one wire circuit is receiving SM_BC_ACOK and PP3V42_G3H and it is outputting voltage.

Here are my voltage measurements of the G3Hot lines.

PPBUS_G3H 8.1V
PPBUS_S5_HS_COMPUTING_ISNS 8.1V
PPBUS_S5_HS_OTHER_ISNS 8.1V
PPDCIN_G3H_ISOL 16.5V
PPDCIN_G3H 16.5V
PP3V42_G3H 3.40V
PPVRTC_G3H 0.33

I found that U1900 is outputting on pin 1 a 32khz clock signal. Other than that it seems dormant.

SMC_RESET_L is high and so is SMC_ONOFF_L

Could use a good nudge in the right direction! Mostly I am not sure if I should see S5 rails even when I have green light missing.

Last edited:

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
"PPBUS_G3H 8.1V"
Means communication problem between SMC and ISL6259; check SCL/SDA lines on diode mode and voltage too.

"PPVRTC_G3H 0.33"
Post resistance to ground (diode mode).
Check C1910 and any other cap on that line.

JohnB8812

PPBUS has to be 8.6 not 8.1. Post voltage for SMC_RESET_L. Also check resistance to ground on PPVRTC as 2informaticos said. Hopefully the board did not get everything killed on it as sometimes happens if RTC shorts to ground and PPBUS goes to 8.1

MexicoTV

0.4290 on PPVRTC_G3H in diode mode with red lead on ground. Should this be present as long as there is PP3V42_G3H present on U1900? PP3V3_S5 and PP3V3_S5RS3RS0_SYSCLKGEN are missing. I'm guessing PPBUS_G3H is what feeds what later creates the S5 lines? What voltage is PPBUS_G3H once this is properly active?

SMC_RESET_L Measures 3.35V
U7100 SDA measures .4830 on diode mode
U7100 SCL measures .4906 on diode mode.

MexicoTV

Oh boy, unfortunately I do not have any donor boards for this. I wonder how worth the risk it is to go and buy one that may also have the same issue. Anyone on here have one?

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Check SMC_PM_G2_EN and post some voltages for U7100; pins 10, 11, 12, 13.
Also disconnect LIO flex and see if PPBUS_G3H changes.

Last edited:

MexicoTV

Thanks. I tried reflowing, not reballing. Don't have a the equipment to reball just yet. i think im gonna have to call it quits on this one unless the personc an wait until i get parts boards which will take some weeks.

As always I really appreciate all the help! Learning tons here.

today i received a macbook air from custommer

which model number is? A1466 (820-00165)

it is no power no fan spin

when i connect to charger its light green then orange?

PPBUS_G3H IS 8.57V

PP3V42_G3H IS 3.42V

PP5VS5 IS 5V

THATS IS

CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME

WHAT POWER LINE YOU TEST BY SEQUENCELY FIRST WHEN YOU RECEIVED A POWER DEAD MACBOOK AIR WITHOUT WATER OR MOISTURE DAMAGE?

PLEASE HELP ME?

THANKS?