820-3787 fast fan spin

Kyle93

820-3787 that had minor liquid damage around keyboard connector. Rest of the board is spotless. Cleaned up area. Board powers on and works but has fast spinning fans after about 30 seconds. Store reported it is Kernel panicking as well.

Customer replaced their screen themselves but destroyed the webcam connector, all pads pulled with it. As far as I now this shouldn't be the cause of the problem though.

What to check next?

Kyle93

Will run ASD tomorrow. If it says its webcam ALS sensor is this board trashed then? Pin 9 only goes right under the SMC.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
I think shouldn't get error without webcam connected.
Unless ALS SCL/SDA lines are grounded.
ALS is connected on SMC 0 SMBUS, together with other temp sensors....

JohnB8812

The webcam is causing the SMBUS lines to give you issues. Disconnect the camera and try again. If all is well, tell customer to live without camera unless you wanna fix that nightmare.

Kyle93

These are the errors I get without webcam camera plugged in of course. What sensors are these referred to on the schematic?

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
These are GPU temp sensors, connected on the same bus with ALS sensor.
I'm not sure if ASD EFI reports them correctly, as GPU is not used on EFI version.
Use ASD OS version, to test GPU properly.

Fans still spin fast?
Check diode mode to ground on Pins 9 & 10 of J4002.
In fact you must check others points of ALS SCL/SDA lines, if not arrived to connector.

JohnB8812

Well this one might be solved! This exact machine was sent to me. Looks like it was a combination of issues with the busted traces for the SMBUS lines under the iSight connector, and a bad Q9102/U5850. Repaired traces and replaced both of those and sensor issue is no more! Going to fully test this over the weekend to make sure.

Kyle93

Good to know if I get another one like this in the future. Did you also end up repairing the webcam? Did you have to run wire under SMC for pin 9?

JohnB8812

No did not fix the Webcam that would've been miserable, and I don't fix webcam usually for any reason. Pin 9 you wouldn't have had to run a jumper you could simply reconnect the pad where it tore. Looks like the pad connects on both sides.

LetsFix

This was very useful for me, just now i had this same issue, some dumbass ripped of the camera connector and the computer was slow. Thanks JohnB8812 and 2informaticos!.