00045 No power. I'm assuming no hope. Any way to recover files?

bjf

I have a 2015 MacBook 12" that's dead. No spill. I haven't dug into it yet but I'm assuming this is going to be a dead CPU issue and be hopeless. If that is indeed the case, does anyone know of a way to recover the files? Or if there is a device like the 076-00236 2016/2017 MacBook Pro data migration tool for these boards?

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
No connection possible for recovery tool.
If is really very important data, you must swap all the chips from SSD area, including its ROM, to an working board.
You should charge the client more than a new board I think.
Your risk to damage an working board in the process...

bjf

About how many components is this? And is it something you would recommend trying? I'm comfortable doing SMC reballing. Is it in that type of difficulty realm? A few SMC replacements essentially? I'm wondering also, how likely I am to destroy the donor board with excess heat from the process.

JohnB8812

It would be a tedious process for sure, but it probably can be done. Other option would be reball a working CPU and put it on for data purposes, but yeah, that would suck. Either way, this is something should be upfront with the customer on and charge accordingly.

bjf

Yeah, I thought about the CPU swap idea, but I kind of liked 2informaticos idea of swapping the SSD components. That feels slightly less terrible and maybe more likely to succeed? I feel like it's so hard to install a CPU without warping or damaging the board.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
If SSD chips are underfilled, could be a nightmare; hopeless project I suppose.

Diagnose the board first, maybe is the f***g U4700 chip only...

JohnB8812

Agreed I?d say NAND swaps would be best. Definitely see what the issue is first tho. If VCore no image, then yeah dead CPU but could be as simple as U4700 or something simple too

bjf

Thanks, it's a friend's computer and will arrive this week so I'll know more then.

bjf

So this hasn't arrived yet, but I got another one in just now with the exact same issue. Pulls in 20V and 1.35A but isn't turning on. Gets warm, has CPU at 1.7V responds to SMC-reset but isn't turning on. I'm assuming hopeless? Dead CPU? U4700 issue would be completely dead, no CPU, no heat, no 20V?

bjf

So the other one arrived today and it's actually cycling with PPVCC_S0_CPU cycling every 2 seconds or so. PPBUS is stable at 8.7V. USB-C is at 20V. It isn't a spill. I can't find any shorts. PPVCC_S0_CPU is at 80 Ohms to ground. Any thoughts on where to go next with this?