820-00239 Power button not working.

bjf

This board had some light spill damage on the right side of the board (looking at it from the bottom) so it wasn't anywhere near the power button on the left, but I'm getting nothing out of the power button. It has the click so mechanically it seems fine, but it does nothing at any time. No visible damage or corrosion. The Touch ID is also giving a "Fingerprint Limit Reached" error even after running xartutil ?erase-all in Terminal but I'm not sure if that's related. Any idea where to start with this?

bjf

That's not turning it off. Tried many times with different tweezers just to make sure I was making good contact. Does nothing.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Did you check for 3V presence on these pads?
If yes, check if PM_PWRBTN_L reacts when trigger SMC_ONOFF_L.

bjf

Yes, 3.3V was on SMC_ONOFF_L. 3.3V is also on PM_PWRBTN_L. PM_PWRBTN_L is going low though when I trigger the R5225/26 pads.

bjf

Ok, got it, yes, thanks, that does turn it off. So you think the Touch ID/power button needs to be replaced then?

bjf

Yeah, I pulled it and found a tiny tear under the microscope. I couldn't see it normally. This came into us with a bunch of screws and connectors missing. Not surprising that it was damaged.

Thanks for the help getting this figured out.