820-2936 liquid spill causing questionmark folder

elcapitan

Hey Guys, I have a water damage mac book pro that came in completely dead with a fainted green light. I was able to make it turn on by removing the short on PP3V42_G3H. Now when the computer boots up it flashes a question mark non stop. I already tried a new HD cable but I'm still having the same problem. The area around J4501 and U4510 looks pretty clean; no signs of corrosion. I have attached a image of the areas that got affected by the water damage. As you can see, most of the damaged occurred near the firewire and T29 boost circuitry.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help!!

Attachments

• photo438.jpg
    photo438.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 0

dukefawks

Administrator
HDD spinning up? Is there a bootable OS on the HDD?
Boot from USB drive and install a known good HDD and see if it is recognized.

elcapitan

HDD spinning up? Is there a bootable OS on the HDD?
Boot from USB drive and install a known good HDD and see if it is recognized.

Thanks for your response Duke. When I boot from a usb drive and install on a known good HDD, I get the following error "OS X could not be installed on your computer-File system verify or repair failed. Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again". It's weird the disk gets listed during installation. It also appears on disk utility. I already tried a HDD with a bootable OS. I also hear the hd spinning. Any suggestions? Should i be focusing on certain lines? Thanks!

Last edited:

dukefawks

Administrator
Set the date to at least something in 2016 and try to install again, can do that in terminal with "date" command. If the drive is listed in Disk utility all hardware is probably ok.

elcapitan

Set the date to at least something in 2016 and try to install again, can do that in terminal with "date" command. If the drive is listed in Disk utility all hardware is probably ok.

Thanks for your response. I tried setting the date to todays date and reinstalling the os but i still got the same error. At this point, im not sure if i should spend more time on this since the customer only paid me to fix the dead board. Shouls i let him figure this out Whats your opinion? I also noticed the t29 boost circuitry area gets extremely hot. Should i bother fixing this circuitry? Thanks!

elcapitan

What gets hot? Q9425 usually gets fucked and will cause battery drain.

to be exact, U9480 gets really hot. Should i bother fixing this circuitry? What do you think i should about the installation problem? Should i let the customer figure that on his own?

dukefawks

Administrator
U9480 gets hot because there is a short behind it. I bet a shorted Q9425 or U9410 or both. You can remove them, but thunderbolt will of course not work.

elcapitan

U9480 gets hot because there is a short behind it. I bet a shorted Q9425 or U9410 or both. You can remove them, but thunderbolt will of course not work.

Hello Duke, I was able to remove the short on PP15v_T29 by removing the big cap C3897 near the u3890 ic. whats the purpose of this circuitry? Do you think its acceptable to return the board to this customer at this point? Everything works properly it just gives me that stupid error "OS X could not be installed on your computer-File system verify or repair failed. Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again". "

Thanks!