820-00165-A "trash pile project board"

I was given a box full of MacBook board by one of my customers. They are boards that 'ALL" have been worked on "some brutally" by someone. I have fixed half a dozen of them or so and basically learned what I was doing on them. This weekend I was caught up on my work so I went digging in the "toy box" for something to do. Often I go back to boards I could not figure out a few months ago only to figure them out now that I have more experience but this one has me stumped. It is a 1.8G 8G board so I am really motivated to figure it out. I am currently out of these boards and need some badly.

Here is what is was doing when I first got my hands on it. "It would turn on for about 10 or so seconds "pulling lower than normal current 275mA instead of the usual 450-550mA" then it would shut off. The previous tech had bypassed SMC_DELAYED_PWRGD on U1950 by bypassing it so they could get PM PCH SYS PWROK out of the and gate. They ran a jumper from pin 6 of U1950 to pin 5 so PM S0 Good would complete the "AND" gate on U1950. I undid this do discover the PM PCH PWROK signal was not present.

I re-flashed the bios and this did fix this problem. I now get a PM PCH SYS PWROK out of U1950 with out it being hot-wired! I was excited but... Current draw is still lower than normal 275mA and after about 10 seconds or so it does power off again and cycle just like it did before I removed the hacked "And" gate.

The CPU never sends the EDP_PANEL_PWR signal to the display section.

Am I kicking a dead horse here? I really don't know where to look from here other than a SMC or CPU and I really don't want to go there and smoke another hour.

I would appreciate any guidance.

Last edited:

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
All voltages apear in these 10s, even VCORE?
Did you try SMC bypass?
Reflashed BIOS with clean ME?
Look for USB activity.
Test the board alone, w/o LIO flex, nor TP connected.

All rails are up.
Only the board and my mag safe charger are used.

I am learning how to wipe and reload the PCH now. Using LBE Will report back.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Medusa programmer is the best to clean ME region.
LBE does NOT really clean ME region, just replaces it with stock/generic/unconfigured ME region.