When do you give up on a pm_slp_s4_l board

MOMOH

820-00165 is giving me so much hard time ......guys , what typically do you do on a board with missing PM_SLP_S4_L ? At what point do you give up ? I mean on a board that is not liquid damaged and has no short to ground... please help , I need to be sure I have gone over it all before sending it off my desk , I would be risking my job if after I fail someone else get it done just because i was too dumb to figure it out . Please help me guys. What am trying to say is , what rail sequence do you go over , before you can pack up on a board that is missing PM_SLP_S4_L .... please guys I really wanna know ... Thank you so much in advance.

JohnB8812

If no liquid, shorts, or drop damage...usually a waste of time. Have to look very closely for corrosion or any hints. Also have to have PP3v42, PPBUS, PPVRTC_G3H, PP5v_S5, PP3v3_S5, PM_BATLOW_L all present before saying missing PM_SLP_S4_L is the problem. I always check those specific rails before calling it quits.

bjf

Well, they're not easy, so it would be hard to judge someone too harshly for not getting it fixed. It took me forever to get reasonably good at it. I give up after I've cleaned up and replaced everything that had damage from a spill, tested for all necessary voltages (see above, and also make sure SMC_PM_G2_EN is present), tested continuity with all the SPI lines (complete pain but necessary). But if I get a board with no spill I'm not feeling great. Those corrosion areas are almost always the easy path. With a no-spill board make sure it wasn't cleaned before. Look for any ugly areas that might have been cleaned already. I'm sure there's more but that's what I'm coming up with at the moment.

MOMOH

thank you for your time. My place of work is quite strict , They raised the bar so high. and thanks moo Louis , have been able to keep up with the struggle.. and my success rate has been 8/10 to 9/10 .. However, those times I get defeated, it hurts so bad , especially when I have to answer for it .

bjf

Well, that's better than my success rate so they should feel lucky to have you. Branch out on your own? What country are you in?

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Always better to post previous measurments on the board.
There are many signals involved in power on sequence, before PM_SLP_S4_l.
Depending which one is present, or missing, we can guide you.
You must confirm if no pulse at all, when charger connected.
Better to check for pulse triggering SMC_ONOFF_L; using R5115/16 pads in this case.
Be aware, 3V3_S5 and 3V3_SUS must appear first