820-3332 A not turning on, no liquid damage. Previous blown battery.

PCTRONICS

Gday guys, i have an 820-3332 that had an imploded battery and when plugged in would make fan spin constantly with no boot. after removing the board i plugged it back in with no battery and it does nothing. there is no ampre draw. im getting green orange light. charging circuit seems normal. isl6259 r7021/22 are both 15ohms. this seems to be normal when i test other machines but the schematic says its a 10ohm not sure why this is. do i need to power this machine on? i thought it starts automaticallay.

PCTRONICS

Update: Ive lost the green light on charger. im starting to measure rails right now. i was measuring around U6990 at the time but have just re checked that area and it seems good. charger is not the problem here. im getting 3.42v as well as SMC_BCACOK

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
This board should start by itslef; but ONLY with 85W charger, if battery is not connected.

Post exact PPBUS_G3H voltage without battery.
Be sure to use correct charger.
Do you get 3V3_S5/SUS?

MOMOH

Are you Using an 85 watts charger as pointed out ? Please note that you would still get PP3V42 even when you using a knock off or under rated

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
You must get correct PPBUS_G3H (12.55V) and 3V42_G3H even with 45W charger.
Check first 3V42_G3H and SMC_RESET_L presence.
Post exact resistance (ohm scale) measured directly between pins 17/18 and 27/28 of ISL6259.
Also post diode mode to ground and voltage on SCL/SDA battery lines.
Use only charger for voltages, no battery.

PCTRONICS

PP3v42_G3H is 3.41v . smc_reset_L is 3.383v resistance between pins 17/18 on U7000 is 8.36k 27/28 31ohms

PCTRONICS

i changed U7000 and replaced R7051/52 and im getting 20Mohms still no green light. New SMC?

Last edited:

JohnB8812

Your issue is NOT the SMC then most likely. You have a bad ISL and both sets of current sense resistors are blown. Fix that issue first.