820-00165 No PP5V_S4RS3, green light OK, no FAN spin.

george-a

Hi guys,

I started a new thread as the one similar to my problem is.. ehmmm similar which can lead to a messed up existing thread. So here is exactly what happens to mine:

It came with LD but almost impossible to notice. I did a UC but nothing changed.

1) Green -> Orange Light OK
2) 3V42, PPBUS, PPVRTC, 5V_S5, 3V3_S5, 3V3_SUS, PP1V05_SUS OK
3) SMC seems alive, various lines produce pulses, voltages are there, there is 32KHz clock going in, maybe I need to check something more specific?
4) SPI looks and feels good
5) P5VS4RS3_EN missing => PM_SLP_S4_L also missing

Also it does not start with C1300 & C1303 removed.

Thank you in advance,

g

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member
Are the probe points to the left/down from the SPI ROM looking clean? A break there is common since it is along the edge.

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member
Also the signal side of R1303, R1302, R1301, and R1300 never drop below 3v, right? I had one where PCH_INTVRMEN was 2.9v, just for the f of it i shorted one of the 3.3v ones next to it to PCH_INTVRMEN and it turned on and worked forever..

but this can be anything. PCH issue, corroded trace around BIOS, SMC keeping SMC_ADAPTER_EN & PM_BATLOW_L low,

Is PM_SLP_S4_L plain 0v dead, or jumping up and down?

george-a

Hi louis, guys,

I checked the resistors you mentioned and all are at 3.2+ but I found a corroded pad beside the BIOS chip for line SPI_CS0_L which I bridged but still no fan spin. I also checked surrounding pads but there is continuity.

PM_SLP_S4_L looks dead, not jumping up&down.

you think this broken line (SPI_CS0_L) could have corrupted the BIOS? is a re-flashing attempt worth it?

apologies for the long delay between responses.

EDIT: weird behaviour detected. After plugging in the charger a few times the light went GREEN->off (instead of ORANGE) and the fan started spinning and the CPU got hot. Repeating the procedure with the magsafe adapter makes the light go Green -> Orange and no fan spin. A few tries later fan spin again. Then nothing... Any clues?

EDIT2: SMC_SENSOR_PWR_EN also missing.. maybe irrelevant?

Attachments

• 0001.jpg
    0001.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member
Look where that signal goes to on both sides and see if something is corroded further down.