820-00045 Dead CPU?

Bouba148

No History and NO no sign of Water Damage

PPBUS_G3H: 8.59V
PPVBUS_E85: 14.4V
PPDCIN_G3H: 14.35V as I can also see it on the USB C Tester with the display ( I have 14.8V but Not pulling Current, 0A )
PP3V3_G3H: 3.302V
PP3V3R3V0_AON: 3.229V
PPVRTC_G3H: 3.296
PP5V_G3H_LDO: 4.996V
PP5V_S4: 5.016V

PP3V3_S5: 3.302V
PP3V3_SUS: 3.302V
PP3V3_S4: 0V

PM_SLP_S5_L: 0V

PCH_RTCRST_L: 3.290V
PCH_SRTCRST_L: 3.0293V
PCH_INTRUDER_L: 3.026V
PCH_INTVRMEN: 0V R1302: 336 KOhms OK

triggered SMC_ONOFF_L and checked PM_SLP_S3_L, PM_SLP_S4_L and PM_SLP_S5_L not pulsing

I've had PP3V3_S4 and PM_SLP_S5_L both present after taking out the board out the chassis ( disconnected from battery ), and mesured the next rails ( S0 all not OK ).
After what I've unplugged the charger and replugged since then back to no PP3V3_S4 .

I've seen another member having this same issue, but he never answer

Now I have all S0 state rails but the board is getting very hot around U0500 and of course no sign of life ( no boing sound when plugging charger, no display etc....)
My guess is that this board is part of the many which have Dead CPU......
I'm wondering how is it possible to pay a such expensive price for hardware having this kind of failure after only 2 years old?
That me think that Apple is doing that on purpose just to sell more garbage around the world for gold price. Why people don't do class action for this case.

I'm tempted to reflow the CPU just like that for fun .....after all

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
You mix the information and is dificil to follow you.
Mentioned missing PCH_INTVRMEN, 5V_S4 present and missing 3V3_S4..
Then S0 voltages present too.
Which is the actual state of your board???

However I don not recommend you to waste time on it.
All these boards end with dead CPU.
Apple didn't put a fan for some reason; machine will not last too much after warranty ends.
If you really have time to spend, try to reflow entire board on IR oven.

Bouba148

Again Thank you for your answer.....
First I've noticed that I didn't had the 3v3_S4 but 5V_S5 was OK: This was with the board having the battery connected
Withoiut battery it goes to S0 state with CPU heating.....
I've also tried to connect those USB C adapter with normal usb to see if an optical mouse lights ON: No Light

Bouba148

Hi 2Informaticos,
I've noticed that the PRam aera was corrupted when I read it whith the Medusa,so I've wrote a complete clean dump, injected the Fsys area and did a CRC.
which didn't solved my issue but it was necessary.
Then I did a reflow with my Quick 861DW air station at 430 deg and 90 L per minutes air flow
The machine turns ON now, charges and displays OS loggon screen......

You can set the topic as solved.

As we know I will not trust this fix, as I could come back in after 2 days or 2 yeards who knows.......that remind me XBox 360 issues......

Thanks for your help

Best Regards

Last edited: