820-2530 isl6259 vs isl6258

Bouba148

Hi 2 Informaticos, team,

I have this board on which they claimed had a WD but I didn't found any corrosion anywhere......
as this board is old I checked the resistance of pp3v42 to GND to make sure this is not a bad MCP failure: 0.8M Ohms: OK

ppbus_g3h:8.17V
pp3v42: 3.42V

at U7000:
R17/18: 20.8Ohms
R27/28: 20.5 Ohms OK
But what is weird in my case is that I have an ISL6259 mounted instead of ISL6258
Board is turning ON on battery with ppbus 11.55V and the charger light turns green, once the battery is removed I can turn it ON/OFF by triggering R5015/16

On charger only, it turns in SMC bypass mode.
When the board is ON, the fan spins to the max speed like I have a Current/Voltage sensing issue.......
Reflowed SMC still the same

Question: Could that happen that on this boards they mounted ISL6259 or is it a mistake on borad or schematics?

Last edited:

Bouba148

Replaced ISL6259 by ISL6258:
PPBUS: 12.58V
But the board still has the same behiour: turns ON only on Battery or battery and charger both together.
I would say, that if it's charging the battery, it's fine as the battery is supposed to always be installed......I have to check this current/voltage sensing issue as the fan still runs fast......

Bouba148

I've fotgotten to say that
on pin 5 of the magesafe ADAPTER_SENSE I have 3.412V but no green light ( I've just had the green light once since what it disapeared )
I'm using official 85W charger....also tried with a 60W official charger and lab power supply with official 85W magsafe cord.

I've replaced the small magesafe connector and had the green light and the bord is turning ON.
After checking and mesuring I've found that on this small connector one resistor on the ADAPTER_SENSE line which was supposed to be 22 Ohm was reading severals KOhms, I've replaced it.
tested the connector again: green light OK and board is turning ON.

but still fan running fast.....

I'll reassemble everything and test

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Run corresponding ASD EFI version and see which error pops out.
Usually is sign of bad trackpad board/flex.

Bouba148

Hi 2Informaticos,

Once back in the chassis, everything was OK , except the keyboard because of the WD.
When Ishorted Pin 5 of J5713 the machine turns ON/OFF so need also to replace keyboard........
was a good troubleshoot........
You still have no idea why I had a 6259 instead of 6258 on that board?