Charging issue - 2017 13" MacBook Air

gh0st

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice from someone more experienced with Mac repairs than I!

I have a 2017 13" MacBook Air that won't charge.

I've done all the basic troubleshooting that I can and I'm to the point where I think it might be component level.

The symptoms:

Plugged in, the power adapter LED indicator acts as it should; is shows orange for charging. The laptop senses that the power adapter is present and switches to ac power, but it won't charge the device. When I check the battery status is claims it's normal.

I've tried different adapters, cleaning ports, swapping the battery from another device, resetting the smc etc.

Where should I begin further troubleshooting? There's no warranty on the device anymore.

I have some basic soldering skills at the macro level, but would be more than happy to learn the micro level if it potentially saves me from buying a new logic board.

Any help would be appreciated.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
"Where should I begin further troubleshooting?"
ALWAYS posting exact model board; I suppose to be 820-00165 now.

"swapping the battery from another device"
Is that working 100% in the other machine?
Try the suspect battery in that machine also.
You must discard battery issue first.
Because is very srange to be MLB issue, if battery is recognized in System Report.
Charge the battery in the other machine (if possible) and see if board starts on battery only (no charger connected).

Post Q7155 voltages, with battery and charger connected at same time.
Also post exact PPBUS_G3H voltage on charger only and resistance between pins 17/18 of U7100.

gh0st

Thanks for the reply. Yes it was an 820-00165.

I came back just to update on my resolution... Unfortunately it looks like I won't get to dabble in looking into the logic board issue - just don't have the time currently and needed the machine back up and running ASAP. I work for an enterprise, so I unfortunately didn't have the time.

The battery was 100% working in the other machine. Tried the suspect battery in that machine and it worked fine. Charged the suspect battery and put it back into the device, the device wouldn't start, no fan-spin with or without battery connected.

Ordered a replacement IO board on Amazon with free return, that didn't solve the issue.

Ended up ordering a logic board off eBay and that solved the problem.

Perhaps if I ever get some time I'll look into the board and actually figure out what went wrong.

Don't like leaving forum posts open ended so just wanted to post what ended up solving it.

tlough75

gh0st, If you like, you could send the faulty board to me and I could look at it for you. I'm much better at troubleshooting than giving advice over internet...