820-00164-A (SMC rework return)

I had a 820-00164 return bite me today. It came back with no MagSafe light. The original repair was trace repair around LVDS and SMC rework. Usually before I remove a SMC when I have a SMC problem that is not a short in the SMC I heat it until it reflows and bump it a little to jiggle the balls and that fixes it. I have had a few of these come back and if I jiggle it again and reflow it works. This time I pulled the SMC and noticed a oxidized pad that was grey on the SMC. I cleaned and touched up that pad and reflowed the chip. It is working once again but I am not sure I trust it.

Have you seen this before and what is your usual repair when this is encountered?

JohnB8812

I usually just reflow it, but if it comes back, it is always replaced. I don't even reball them rather rule out bad chip being heated at that point.

I reflow them and 9 out of 10 times I never see the machine again. Since most of the machines I work on are school contracts if it went bad I would see it again. I may start pulling each one and checking for grey pads instead of just reflowing.

I don't have any more donor boards with a SMC on them! I only have a hand full of donor boars and they are badly raped. Where is a good source for them?

Last edited: