820-00165 (Brain Dead)

The machine came in for this problem and there are no signs of water damage anywhere. I looked under the chips as well! Went over the board half a dozen times looking for anything that could cause this. I think we are looking at a non water related issue.

I have a 820-00165 LB that never sends the 3.3v enable signal to turn on power to the LCD The screen never comes on and never has back light as a result.
All the power rails appear functional and voltages on the CPU are normal.

After looking at the board under thermal imaging I noticed that the RAM modules were never showing activity. What I normally observe is once CPU power is on and U3900 fires up the BIOS program is loaded into ram and starts running. You can see the memory light up slightly as it comes to life. on this board it does not.

I backed up and replaced the BIOS and this did not help.

Clock signals are present.
I can watch the CPU read the BIOS on the scope.
On the memory modules MEM_( A or B) _CLK signals are both not present.
Memory 1v2 and 1v8 s3 rails are present and working properly.

Last edited:
PP0V6_S0_DDRVTT 0.6v
PLT_RESET_L 3.3v
PLT_RST_BUF_L 3.3v

I want to add a interesting observation.
when I first power up the board it pulls 400 mA for a few seconds then powers down for a few seconds then turns on again and pulls 550-650 mA. This is not normal behavior for a 820-00165 board.This however similar to the normal current on power cycle just not the power down section. Also during the 500-600mA cycle fin spin is full speed. Did this before I flashed the bios.

Last edited:

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Did you try the MLB alone, w/o any device connected?
Use just an USB mouse for control; disconnect LIO flex too...

yes. LB was tested on the bench bare. I use my bench DC-IN not the one in the Machine. I have been checking for the 3.3V on signal for the minitor without a display attached. It should show up briefly but does not. Memory clk measurements were done without a display.

no mouse, no keyboard, nothing in USB ports.

That was my assumption as well but I have never seen one like this. I appreciate you making me feel at ease to condemn this board..
Have you seen this before?

Last edited: