Hall sensors for newer MacBook Pros?

bjf

Anyone know how to get ahold of the hall sensors for the 2016 and newer MacBook Pro models? I'm going through them faster than my donor boards can supply. It's the chip with 3 legs vs the older ones with 5 legs.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Any hall sensor with same size should serve.
Just in case, check datasheet (if available), to confirm pins layout.
You can also check some schematics of normal laptop boards, to find a model.

bjf

Hi, thanks, the reason this part is so tricky is that it's not on the schematic because of that 8-ball mount. The 2016 and later Pros are the only computer I know of that uses the 3-pin version.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
You can check continuity between that chip and MLB; power, ground and signal.
So easy to know which pin is...

Last edited:

bjf

Of course, there's no problem following the trace. I'm not talking about issues fixing the board, I'm just trying to replace the sensor and I don't what it is because it's not on the schematic. Just trying to find a part.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
95% all SOT23 Hall sensors have the same layout.
I just explained how to find it in your case, to compare with a spare part...

bjf

thanks, yeah, i've used up all my donors so i just need to find a supply of new ones. unfortunately, everything on Mouser looks too big. the ones on the new MacBook pros are small. i'll keep looking. I should be able to find them somewhere eventually.

bjf

Will do. Not looking good though. I'm not coming up with anything. Everything on Mouser is too big. The ones on the newer MacBook Pros are only 1.5mm wide. Everything I'm finding is 2.8mm.

bjf

Putting this out again if anyone's found the 1.5mm hall sensors for the newer MacBook Pros. Still trying to find a source.