820-01521 2018 Air sleep/wake issue

bjf

Does anyone know why I keep having sleep/wake issues with the new Airs. Sometimes it will think it's closed and turn off the screen and sometimes it will turn on automatically when it's off. I realize the "any key to turn it on" feature can make things weird, but this is going beyond that. Any idea what might be happening? This has happened with multiple computers, logic boards and top cases. SMC reset will get it to turn on normally.

Last edited:

bjf

Any thoughts on this? I replaced the audio board flex cable and now have it narrowed down to only having an issue when you close the screen. Once that happens, the screen will not come back on and the only way to restart the computer is to do an SMC reset. It will then be back to normal after that. Other than that, it works perfectly if I don't close the screen. All sleep/wake and shutdown/restart functions are normal. Not sure where to go next.

baker_jeff

I'm going to pipe in here as I have the exact issue. After closing the lid, the unit backlight won't come back on after. The touchpad is powered up, keyboard backlight on, but only way to get the display to come back is to turn it off and back on.

This has a replacement logic board, the original had a shorted CPU after liquid damage. The Audio board and cable (at the connector) are both liquid damaged. I had hoped it wasn't bad enough to cause problems, but I assume this is it.

baker_jeff

It actually seems like the sensor is a part of the speaker on the (right) side. With the speaker disconnected, it doesn't go to sleep with the lid closed, and there is a little nub on that speaker that sits up flush with the top case that the other speaker doesn't have. Guess new speakers on the way and I'll report back with the results!