820-3787 No image and fans spin then slow down, then speed up

tlough75

I have a strange one on the bench tonight. The owner said they spilled something on the keyboard and it stopped working.I opened the bottom and noticed a burn mark next to the LCD connector. L8300 had melted, sticking itself to the board and destroying part of the trace under it. The computer has no image and seems like it is power cycling. The fans will spin some what fast, then slow down, then back up. Is that an in indication of power cycling? the G3H rails are present but that is as far as I got.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
If fan spins, you get 5V_S0.
Check if all voltages, including VCORE come on.

Remove LCD connector and clean that area first.

tlough75

Ok, So I measured the power rails and all are there. They all power cycle constantly after being stable for about 10 seconds. The fans will slow down and simultaneously the voltage on each rail will drop out then come back in a repeated cycle.

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
My mistake, I was thinking LCD connector was melt; in fact you've mentioned L8300.

Do you get VCORE for sure?
PLT_RESET_L comes on?
Did you try SMC bypass mode?
Try also known good FULL BIOS.

tlough75

Re-Checked, I get PPVCC_S0_CPU (1.8V) and PLT_RESET_L (3.3V) I will try SMC Bypass and BIOS. I'll need to get a dump from somewhere. Ithink I have one nut I do not have any other 820-3787 machines at the moment.

tlough75

Looks like this board is ok. When I plugged the battery and everything and started it the fans would spin at a constant RPM. The LCD panel wouldn't display an image but the computer works with an external monitor.