A2159 2019 13" Macbook Pro liquid damage - won't charge or run off battery

bradsprojects

I am in the process of repairing a water damaged 2019 13" Macbook pro with touchbar (A2159). After taking the board out - the only place I found any corrosion was around the battery connector which I go through in detail below:

Basically the Macbook would not turn on at all, I found corrosion around the '5-pin' battery connector at J100 (which connects from the battery pack to the battery PCB). A short obviously occurred in this area and the connector itself was damaged. I desoldered it and then ran some jumper wires back to the battery PCB. I also had to remove the connectors which connect the battery PCB to the logic board due to corrosion - and then run some jumper wires (all these jumper wires can be seem in the attached image).

The Macbook is now working and the battery is at 74% however it shows the battery as 'replace now' and 'not charging'. When I try and turn it on with the charger unplugged, it shows the flashing 'battery dead' symbol. Also, if I unplug the charger while it is on, it remains on for about 1 second, then turns off. However, when I plug the charger back in, the Macbook comes back to life as it were in sleep mode (i.e. it doesn't need to boot up into MacOS again).

I am wondering if this might be an issue with the battery itself or with something on the logic board.
DSC_0699.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0699.JPG
    DSC_0699.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 2
  • DSC_0699.JPG
    DSC_0699.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 3

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
I suspect more components damaged by liquid on the battery PCB.
An error flag could be also triggered on the battery processor.

Get a known good working battery to be sure where the problem is located.

bradsprojects

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a supplier for these batteries (since it's a 2019 model) however the 2017 battery looks identical. Do you you know if I could use a 2017 model battery? (Sorry, I didn't mean to leave this message as a comment Please see below instead...)

Last edited:

bradsprojects

I suspect more components damaged by liquid on the battery PCB.
An error flag could be also triggered on the battery processor.

Get a known good working battery to be sure where the problem is located.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a supplier for these batteries (since it's a 2019 model) however the 2017 battery looks identical. Do you you know if I could use a 2017 model battery?

dukefawks

Administrator
Certainly a dead battery. If the 2017 one physically fits it will probably work but I have not yet tried that myself. Only one way to find out....

bradsprojects

Thanks for the help. I have just installed a battery from a 2016/2017 macbook (battery model number A1713) and it works just fine in the 2019 macbook.