thread top ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

READ BEFORE REGISTERING SO YOUR ACCOUNT WORKS

In order for your account to be activated INSTANTLY, your PayPal email MUST MATCH THE EMAIL YOU USE TO REGISTER YOUR ACCOUNT ON THIS FORUM!! If your PAYPAL email address differs from your FORUM email address, your account will have to be activated MANUALLY when a customer service agent gets around to it.

I realize this sucks, and I do apologize.
See more
See less

A2159 2019 13" Macbook Pro liquid damage - won't charge or run off battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A2159 2019 13" Macbook Pro liquid damage - won't charge or run off battery

I am in the process of repairing a water damaged 2019 13" Macbook pro with touchbar (A2159). After taking the board out - the only place I found any corrosion was around the battery connector which I go through in detail below:

Basically the Macbook would not turn on at all, I found corrosion around the '5-pin' battery connector at J100 (which connects from the battery pack to the battery PCB). A short obviously occurred in this area and the connector itself was damaged. I desoldered it and then ran some jumper wires back to the battery PCB. I also had to remove the connectors which connect the battery PCB to the logic board due to corrosion - and then run some jumper wires (all these jumper wires can be seem in the attached image).

The Macbook is now working and the battery is at 74% however it shows the battery as 'replace now' and 'not charging'. When I try and turn it on with the charger unplugged, it shows the flashing 'battery dead' symbol. Also, if I unplug the charger while it is on, it remains on for about 1 second, then turns off. However, when I plug the charger back in, the Macbook comes back to life as it were in sleep mode (i.e. it doesn't need to boot up into MacOS again).

I am wondering if this might be an issue with the battery itself or with something on the logic board.
    DSC_0699.JPG
    Attached Files

I suspect more components damaged by liquid on the battery PCB.
    An error flag could be also triggered on the battery processor.

Get a known good working battery to be sure where the problem is located.

Comment

• bradsprojects
      bradsprojects commented
      Editing a comment
      Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a supplier for these batteries (since it's a 2019 model) however the 2017 battery looks identical. Do you you know if I could use a 2017 model battery? (Sorry, I didn't mean to leave this message as a comment Please see below instead...)
      Last edited by bradsprojects; 3 weeks ago. Reason: Typed reply into the wrong section.

Originally posted by 2informaticos View Post
    I suspect more components damaged by liquid on the battery PCB.
    An error flag could be also triggered on the battery processor.

Get a known good working battery to be sure where the problem is located.
    Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a supplier for these batteries (since it's a 2019 model) however the 2017 battery looks identical. Do you you know if I could use a 2017 model battery?

Comment

Certainly a dead battery. If the 2017 one physically fits it will probably work but I have not yet tried that myself. Only one way to find out....

Comment

Originally posted by dukefawks View Post
        Certainly a dead battery. If the 2017 one physically fits it will probably work but I have not yet tried that myself. Only one way to find out....
        Thanks, will try out a 2017 version and report back.

Comment

Do NOT quote an entire post visible few centimeters above.
          Please maintain forum aesthetic...

Comment

Okee Dokee

Comment

Thanks for the help. I have just installed a battery from a 2016/2017 macbook (battery model number A1713) and it works just fine in the 2019 macbook.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.
                Is a good info to ad on the repair notes archive...

Comment

thread bottom ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X