820-3302-a dead imac

Yoel Ren

Hi, I have this imac, which the customer say just die overnight, so I have remove the lcd, tried to change psu, press power button, still doesnt turn on, im not really familiar with imac board, should I take it out first or can I troubleshoot it in the case connected with psu ?

Yoel Ren

so I change c9450 because of pp3v3_s5 short, now imac is up and running normally.
i have 2 imac screen which i forget is working or not, then I plugged the bad one, and L9100 blowed up, the question, can I just use solder blob there / wire ?
any shipping is very long in my third world country :((

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
How can you power up a machine, testing unknown LCD, without checking diode mode first???
If there is still short, what do you think will happen if you solder direct wire (or blob)?
If no short, use some tiny magnet wire; 0.05-0.1mm should be good enough.

Yoel Ren

Bad cable.. So i change L9000 and use another cable and screen turn on fine
. But i notice that, when i plug power cable, fan start ramping to max speed, but if i turn it on, the fan goes.normal ( not maximum speed), if I shut it down, the fan goes maximum speed again
I use 220 ohm ferrite bead from 820-3476 L8300..

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
Which is the exact ohm value for the coil soldered in place of L9100?
I mean real value, measured onboard.

Do you mean fan spins at max when machine off?
Power fan is not available in S5 state; you have a shorted MOSFET (Q7950) between S5 and S0 rails.

Yoel Ren

Sorry i don quite understand, you want the resistance of L9100 right? I measure it, 2.2 ohm

I don have donor board for this.model, any macbook air/pro mosfet can do right? With same size ofcourse

Yoel Ren

voltage is 11.75v on pin 1 2 7 8 of Q7950
U7950 pin 1 : 11.75v
pin 2 : 0v, because in s5 state ? ( im not turning it on yet )
pin 5 :11.75v
pin 6 : 11.45v ( pc is not turned on yet, but there's voltage there, so do I change both or only U7950 ?
pin 7 :10v
pin 8 : 0v

Last edited:

2informaticos

Administrator
Staff member
"Check first if that MOSFET is shorted."
Looks like yes, but why don't you do that???
Replacing it should solve the problem...