2011 a1297 820-2914 can't boot into os,stuck at boot up process

roy.ruan

Hi every one,
having a A1297 820-2914 board this time. problem is that it can't boot up into the MAC OS/installation usb drive for MAC OS.

seen too many of this before on 820-2915 a1286 boards, it's caused by GPU for that model and fixed too many of them.
so first thing I did was to replace the GPU with a brand new one.I'm sure the process went all good as we did too many for 820-2915 already.

but after cool down, put everything back and tested it,still same issue. did a P+R+COMMAND+OPTION reset,didn't seem to help.
I'm just thinking what can be the cause.. of course SSD and cable were all tested and we tested with usb and still can't boot all the way.

it will stuck in the middle of the process and doesn't move at all?

any thoughts would be appreciated.
smile.png

thanks in advanced

dukefawks

Administrator
Why didn't you take this to Apple to be fixed for free?
Boot in safe mode with 10.9 or something old (hold left shift)
If that does not work, boot in verbose mode CMD+V and see where it hangs.

roy.ruan

Why didn't you take this to Apple to be fixed for free?
Boot in safe mode with 10.9 or something old (hold left shift)
If that does not work, boot in verbose mode CMD+V and see where it hangs.

it's from a customer that we charged money. and this is not the first case already, many of the A1286 in 2011 had similar problems,but we replaced chipsets and then they good all the way and fixed.
but just not the same with 820-2914 model , just wondering if anyone has a solution, I do think it still has something to do with the AMD GPU but most likely not the chipset itself,which we replaced couple times already.

roy.ruan

forgot to mentioned, the board physically looks perfectly fine,no liquid spilled ,burnt spots or anything. and again, this is not the first a1297 that has this issue we came across

G.Beard

it's from a customer that we charged money. and this is not the first case already, many of the A1286 in 2011 had similar problems,but we replaced chipsets and then they good all the way and fixed.
but just not the same with 820-2914 model , just wondering if anyone has a solution, I do think it still has something to do with the AMD GPU but most likely not the chipset itself,which we replaced couple times already.

You're asking if anyone has a solution but not actually posting anything for anyone to go on

roy.ruan

I like how you did not answer any of my questions.

sorry about that, I did try what you suggested,
left shift doesn't work ,it still stuck in the middle
we tried command +V, it shows up the common during boot up, then it passed that command screen and back to normal boot up screen with the apple on, then same thing,it tries to boot but stuck in the middle

roy.ruan

Clean it up and take it to Apple for the recall program.

customer shipped it from PR and only sent the bare logic board. so don't think can bring it to Apple for the recall.
I will go ahead and replace 4 of the VRAM and see how it goes, I still think it has something to do with the video power circuit, since the GPU had been replaced,we will try that and update later.
thanks anyway.