820-3437-a Works on charger but doesn't recognize battery

Gannons3

I have an 820-3437-a macbook air that works just fine off the charger but will not recognize the battery, I have tried a new battery but still the same result. R5380 reads 5 ohms on the board, but the correct 2k ohms off the board. I get .0034 in diode mode on the smbus_smc_5_g3_sda line. any help would be great, thanks

Last edited:

aprendiz

Remove U7100 and check if you get a higher value in diode mode on SMBUS_SMC_5_G3_SDA line, if yes, just replace U7100, if don't the next suspect is SMC.....

Gannons3

removed U7100 still get the same .0033 to ground in diode mode.. is there anywhere i can get a stencil for the smc?

Gannons3

I put a new smc on the board and am no longer getting the short to ground on the data line but now i get no light on the charger and when i plug it in the fan runs full speed. the computer trys to boot but fails and gives me a bunch of lines of code on the left side of the screen then takes me to a screen that says to try booting again. Did i buy an smc with no programming?

Gannons3

No Title

this is what comes up when I attempt to boot if it helps

Attachments

• photo623.jpg
    photo623.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo624.jpg
    photo624.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 1

aprendiz

i bought 10pcs there and none worked.... The seller dont know if those ic came from a donor board or from where...

dukefawks

Administrator
Uhm you bought a random SMC chip. These chips are unique to each board type. You need to get an identical donor board and take the SMC from there.