Macbook pro A1278 2011, 820-2936 random shut down issue

roy.ruan

Hi guys,I'm having this a1278 2011 with 820-2936 logic board.
everything is working fine, can pass ADT, but it has a problem with random shutdown.

there is no special symptoms that when or how the shut down would happen.
it just randomly shut down while using the machine.
it's not the heat related issue, I used temp monitor (software) to monitor the temps, almost everything is under 70C.

I tried to stress the video function and see if that's the cause, but not really, still random and not seem to be related.

just wondering if anyone had similar experience and know how to approach on problem like this?

thanks

XooP

Yes probably bad RAM or slot, I just had one with the same problem. Two of pins on the RAM slot was loose so I re soldered them and everything was fine.

roy.ruan

i checked and tried other RAMS , it's not the issue. how to check the ram slots? it's really hard to tell even with microscope

roy.ruan

Yes probably bad RAM or slot, I just had one with the same problem. Two of pins on the RAM slot was loose so I re soldered them and everything was fine.

thank you for the info,can you specify the problem and solution a little bit,which side should I solder?(the cpu side or opposite?and what pins?)

XooP

Check the CPU side if any of the outer pins along the RAM slot are loose. Tilt it under the microscope and gently try to wiggle each pin to see if it is loose, most often they start loosening on one of the sides.

dukefawks

Administrator
Just run it on 1 RAM slot at the time to see if the issue goes away. It could be 100 other things than a RAM issue...

roy.ruan

thanks for the help dude,I did check and re-solder but still same thing in my case, i think most likely that's not the cause, but thanks anyway for the suggestion

roy.ruan

checked with 1 ram at one slot at a time, still shut down no matter which slot I used. anyway way to approach problem like this?