820-2850 chimes No backlight or image

cpdist

I got this board today, I was a able to get video out of it once out of probably 15 power cycles. It does chime every power cycle. I ran out of time today at work to start measuring power rails. Am I correct in thinking this is a 330uf tantalum cap problem (c9560)? Or at least a good starting point?

Last edited:

dukefawks

Administrator
Replace C9560 first, but I doubt that will be it. Try a known good LCD assembly too and disconnect the battery indicator.

cpdist

I replaced c9560, and also just got my known good screen, still same issue not able to get image or backlight. I get chime every time.

gcain

Does it work with an external screen?
I had similar symptoms on a different board. Take a look from U9000; around L9000, L9010, L9011 area.

I had a corroded L9080 (your board doesn't have this particular part no.) which was near the DC Adapter. Classic moisture / liquid damage.

dukefawks

Administrator
Yes, check external video and then check SMC_LID, should be 3.3V .Then check power to pin 4 6 and 7 of LCD connector. Measure them in diode mode too, with and without LCD plugged in.

cpdist

External video does not work,
SMC_LID Probe

R5071 3.3v

w/ screen
PIN 4 = 3.2v
PIN 6 = 3.2v
PIN 7 = 3.2v

Diode Mode

PIN 4 = 0.27
PIN 6 = 0.45
PIN 7 = 0.46

W/o Screen

PIN 4 = 3.3v
PIN 6 = 3.2v
PIN 7 = 3.2v

Diode Mode

PIN 4 = 0.27
PIN 6 = 0.45
PIN 7 = 0.45

dukefawks

Administrator
Hmmm, you should get video externally with VGA or HDMI adapter at least if you leave internal LCD disconnected.
Try heating up the GPU to about 100C and try again.

cpdist

Heated the gpu up to 100c, tried again issue remains.

An observation I made when I had the board out is that after the chime the fans rev up to full speed and remain there they do not throttle down. This was happening before and after heating the board. Dont know if that mean anything to this issue.

I did try external video again after heating with and without the lvds cable plugged in.

Last edited:

dukefawks

Administrator
Any history on this board? GPU not messed with? It's worrying that you were able to get video at one stage, usually does not bode well. GPU getting power?
Try pressing on the MUX chip and powering on too.

cpdist

The board looks un-sodomized no signs of previous work. I have not done anything to it besides what we have discussed. Out of probably over 100 power cycles since I have been testing it I have maybe gotten video 5 times. Ill let you know on the MUX/GPU stuff. Thanks Duke!

cpdist

Decided to take keep messing with this board. I took some measurements regarding the GPU power, I also tried pushing on the MUX while powering it on.

PP1v05_S0GPU = 1.05v
PP1V8R1V55_S0GPU_ISNS = 1.33v
PP1V8R1V55_S0GPU_ISNS_R = 1.33v
PP1V8_GPUIFPX = 1.78v
PP3V3_S0GPU = 3.28v
PPVCORE_GPU = 0.9v
PPVCORE_S0_GFX = 0.87v

LVDS connector

PINS 2&3 - 3.2v

PINS 39&40 - 24.9v

Machine continues to power on and chime. After about 5 seconds the fans go to 100% and just sit there with no video. Any other suggestions?

dukefawks

Administrator
3V on pin 2 and 3 suggests there IS an image on the LCD! 24V on backlight means there is just no backlight......

cpdist

You are correct sir my apologies for confusing the situation. I can usually see the image with my nake eye but this time I had to use a flash light to see the blinking folder but it is there. So to figure out why I have no back light.