iMac 27" Mid 2011 GPU sensor shorten resulting blank/white screen..

Davis

This one is a first time for me..
I replaced GPU on this iMac, the defective one had pink lines (not the same issue) and after instilling the new one I get the apple logo etc. and when login process kicks in
I get white/blank screen.
At first I was sure i got a defective card or I applied to much paste so I cleaned it up and tried again, no luck, I then separated the GPU from the heatsink and bingo theres video,
from here to there I found out that when the GPU sensor is connected I get this blank screen so I tested with external sensor and it does the same.
My best guess that it is an issue with the logicboard which sucks.
1. Did anybody had this issue before and can tell me how it been solved?
2. Is it possible to shut the ODD fan from spinning while the sensor is disconnected? how? (preferably permanent solution)

dukefawks

Administrator
Pfff, there are no NEW GPUs for these. All GPUs are either reballed junk or remarked junk. Complete cards are all heat gunned or reflowed junk.
Did you change the card or just the chip?

Davis

I know it is very strange that a gou sensor can cause white screen but it is, every time i plug it off the board the card works fine besiddes the ODD fan getting crazy..I aldo tested eith enother sensor and it does the same, my best guess its an MLB issue but this imac boards is "impossible" to measure/repair

Davis

Pfff, there are no NEW GPUs for these. All GPUs are either reballed junk or remarked junk. Complete cards are all heat gunned or reflowed junk.
Did you change the card or just the chip?

I am aware of that it is probebly reworked card I called it new to distinguish between the old defective and the "new" I bought from china, though it should stil do the job for a year or more..
Changed the whole card, not the chip.

Last edited:

dukefawks

Administrator
The card is bad like they all are. ALL these cards are bad or reflowed GARBAGE. Only solution at the moment is to replace the chip with a 215-0798000 chip and edit the ROM. Stop using garbage cards from China, it is all junk.

Davis

The card is bad like they all are. ALL these cards are bad or reflowed GARBAGE. Only solution at the moment is to replace the chip with a 215-0798000 chip and edit the ROM. Stop using garbage cards from China, it is all junk.

I understand your point but the gnu sensor is not directly attached the GPU and have nothing to do with each other, the issue is with the sensor connector on the motherboard, lets try to ignore the GPU for a sec and look into the connector on the MLB and how its possible to make the system or the system to ignore its measurements.

dukefawks

Administrator
What part of you got a garbage card do you not understand?
Either fix the original card with a 215-0798000 or forget about this. Send the garbage card back to China or put it in the trash where the China man picked it out of.
I bet if you heat gun the original card and put it back in the thing will boot up just fine with the sensor attached.

dr. moast

What part of you got a garbage card do you not understand?
Either fix the original card with a 215-0798000 or forget about this. Send the garbage card back to China or put it in the trash where the China man picked it out of.
I bet if you heat gun the original card and put it back in the thing will boot up just fine with the sensor attached.

Got it, thanks!

machelper

Hi Duke
Can u explain where is edit rom file? or replace with different bios(VGA bios) ? And did you tested real world repaired VGA board ( customer generally use for graphics works and 3D this machine) thanks for help