[SOLVED]820-3115 - Board always thinks headphone or S/PDIF is plugged in

Status
Not open for further replies.

smiba

Hi, back again with another board with an issue.

This is a laptop I bought over but it has been totally screwed up by someone else. I already had to replace and clean some parts of the board and am finally able to get it to properly boot. The only issue it has that it constantly thinks there is something plugged in on the headphone port.

If there is nothing plugged in the board thinks it has an S/PDIF plugged in, when you plug in a headphone it will switch over to headphone but only the right side of the headphone works. At rare times both sides work, this often is achieved by plugging the connector almost in, but not fully. (EDIT: This might be the right channel which just touches both the L&R sides of the headphone connector)

AUD_CONNJ1_TIPDET, AUD_CONNJ1_USGND_DET and is constantly ~4.4V. Not sure if this is important information

Should it be a solution to replace the port? How would one replace a big port like that while there capacitors right underneath it?

Thanks a lot

Last edited:

bjf

I'm going to guess bad jack. The fact that plugging it in halfway affects things makes me want to get rid of that jack. At least do that to start. To remove the jack the first thing I would do is add leaded-solder to all of the jack supports to get them to melt faster. As far as protecting the components located in the jack area, I try to keep the heat flowing straight down so as to not blow components off. Have another good board around for reference or take a pic of the area so you know what it's supposed to look like. To put the new jack on just reverse the process and push the pins through the solder you added. I put about 5 old batteries on the board to hold it in place as I'm using small pliers to remove the jack and reinstall it.

smiba

I'm alright with S/PDIF support gone so the device atleast works on speakers (which will happen after removing R6805, if I'm not mistaken this will make the detection system stop working?), but I don't think removing that resistor will bring back the left audio channel when plugging in headphones?

EDIT: I'll check if there is actually any audio going towards the left audio channel on the connector, maybe it's not an issue with the plug but with the board

Last edited:

smiba

I removed the R6805 and as expected the macbook does not detect S/PDIF anymore. This is alright.

I've been checking the port as the headphones still have no audio on the left side, but I'm able to get continuity on both channels if I plug a cut open headphone jack with cable in there. This would indicate the jack is working properly, if I'm not mistaken? The area around the audio chip looks like it has been worked on by someone, I'll check it out and maybe see if I can borrow a Oscilloscope to check where the analogue signal stops being there. (I can't measure it on my multimeter it seems)

Anyways what I did to test is plugging in a headphone cable with exposed Left/Right wires, then I placed one of my probes on one of the wires and checked if I got continuity or either AUD_CONNJ1_TIP or AUD_CONNJ1_RING. On both cables I was able to get continuity on one of the probe points. To check a little bit more I also checked if I got continuity to L6704/L6705's Pin 1

Any tips? Otherwise I'm just going to try and access an oscilloscope.

smiba

Solved!

I've checked all the components you've named and was about to replace U6201 because that was the only option I could think of at the moment

At that moment I thought what would happen if I forced the plug in a bit more, because I kept seeing resistance on the left audio channel that I didn't get on the right channel and just thought why the hell not.
Well guess what? There was a little tiny fragment of what I think is metal in the port, preventing the jack from fully fitting in and most likely also the reason why it kept thinking there was a S/PDIF cable connected. By putting pressure on the port I broke the little piece and it fell out, barley bigger then a piece of sand.

Sometimes the issue is simpler then you think

Thanks for your help as always :)

Status
Not open for further replies.