trackpad connector pin missing on retina board - options? 820-3476-A

spakhnyuk

The MacBook was liquid damaged. Everything except the trackpad works after cleaning in ultrasonic. Looks like the connector is missing a pin. What are my options? I see keyboard connectors available for purchase but no trackpad connectors. These melt if you try pulling one from a donor board.

Hate to see a perfectly good board go to waste because of a trackpad.

Attachments

• photo660.jpg
    photo660.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 0

dukefawks

Administrator
These do not melt if you do it right. Heat from bottom and a little from the top and it goes just fine. Pull from donor board.

spakhnyuk

I realize it's hard to explain air temp/speed settings but what is the trick here to getting these off without melting them? I've tried heating them from the bottom and they still melt.

jgraffis

i usually use flux on the connector pins and mounts, then heat with heat gun. seem like the flux help heat the solder first before melting temp. but in kinda just a noob lol

G.Beard

I realize it's hard to explain air temp/speed settings but what is the trick here to getting these off without melting them? I've tried heating them from the bottom and they still melt.

I am no expert but here is what I did just about 3 hours ago...

On a donor board, cover connector in flux, gently heat the other side of the board for a while till a large area of the board gets hot. Get closer in on the other side of the board, when you see the flux bubble a bit get right in there close. I like to gently nudge connectors rather than try to pull or lift them. It will just slide away when it want's to.

larossmann

Administrator
Staff member

You heat from the bottom with flux on the connector and put slight pressure with tweezers the entire time. Once the solder has melted the connector will move since you are constantly applying pressure. This way you are not overheating it when the solder is already past the melting point.

Or you could solder the trackpad cable to the board... which I've done several times for impatient customers. That's one way of doing a warranty sticker.