thread top ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

READ BEFORE REGISTERING SO YOUR ACCOUNT WORKS

In order for your account to be activated INSTANTLY, your PayPal email MUST MATCH THE EMAIL YOU USE TO REGISTER YOUR ACCOUNT ON THIS FORUM!! If your PAYPAL email address differs from your FORUM email address, your account will have to be activated MANUALLY when a customer service agent gets around to it.

I realize this sucks, and I do apologize.
See more
See less

820-00165 No S0, SYSCLK(s) trying to turn on, corrosion all over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 820-00165 No S0, SYSCLK(s) trying to turn on, corrosion all over

Machine was covered in coke.... The whole bottle I think.
    Damaged areas were:
    U6100, U1900, Q8150, U1950, U5000, U7100, U8300, J8300, U7090, J9500, Q7155, Q7706

Cleaned up all areas, and replaced all caps and resistors and ICs with corroded pins / pads that I could see, except the SMC (so far) as the outer balls look OK.

Voltages tested are:
    PPBUS_G3H = 8.6
    PP5V_S5 = 5V
    PP3V3_S5 = 3V3
    PP3V42 = 3V42
    PP3V3RTC_G3H = 3V3

After randomly stabbing the wrong pin (pin 3) on U1900 (trying to test for PP3V3_S5 on pin 2), found that SYSCLK is blipping on / off.

Still very much in confusion and trying to figure out the order in which power rails turn on.

Where I should be looking first with this?

First look at 5V_S4 at L7520, it is probably pulsing. Judging by your description this thing is a hell hole.....

Comment

Originally posted by dukefawks View Post
      First look at 5V_S4 at L7520, it is probably pulsing. Judging by your description this thing is a hell hole.....
      No pulsing at L7520.
      No PM_SLP_S4_L

Comment

OK, so now have fan spin and only green light. CPU gets hot. Fan is not doing the start / stop like it should. I'll throw on the heat sink, stop burning my finger and test some voltages again.

I think there was an issue around U1950

Comment

this may work after a 30 second 80 celsius cleaning in the UC. but it sounds like a fucked board with a bad CPU

Comment

Originally posted by larossmann View Post
            this may work after a 30 second 80 celsius cleaning in the UC. but it sounds like a fucked board with a bad CPU
            Why bad CPU?

Comment

00165 does not start/stop, only 3437 and 3435.

Comment

00165 does not start/stop, only 3437 and 3435.
                Oh OK.
                Since whenever I ask a question that requires a longer answer here, it's skipped, please would you provide a yes or no answer to this...

5V_S4 can only turn on with PM_SLP_S4 right?

And the signal for.....

What tells the PCH to turn on PM_SLP_S4?

Thank you

Comment

There is no answer for that that does not require reading and understanding the 500+ page datasheet on the Intel PCH, but here you go:

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www...-datasheet.pdf

Read that and you will understand why I cannot answer why your SLP_S4 is not there.
                  I did ask if it was pulsing, could pulse once or could cycle. Measure while plugging in power to not miss the one pulse. Use a scope as multimeter is too slow to catch a single pulse.

Comment

There is no answer for that that does not require reading and understanding the 500+ page datasheet on the Intel PCH, but here you go:

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www...-datasheet.pdf

Read that and you will understand why I cannot answer why your SLP_S4 is not there.
                    I did ask if it was pulsing, could pulse once or could cycle. Measure while plugging in power to not miss the one pulse. Use a scope as multimeter is too slow to catch a single pulse.
                    Thank you. Page 69 power management interface may also be useful.

5V_S4 is now working.
                    CPU turns on.
                    No chime.
                    MagSafe only has green light.

Comment

Check CPU Core voltage and see if it drops in voltage after a second or if it comes on and off and on again.

Comment

Also magsafe being only green looks like SMC issue, probably crap under it.

Comment

Also magsafe being only green looks like SMC issue, probably crap under it.

Thing is, when the boards was not powering on there was green / orange.
                          I have already replaced SMC this morning.
                          Checked PP3V42 getting to pull ups.
                          Checked pull up resistor values.

Check CPU Core voltage and see if it drops in voltage after a second or if it comes on and off and on again.
                          I will check shortly.

Thanks

Comment

PPVCC-S0_CPU = 1.08V constant

Comment

Well, this could be anything at this point. The usual suspects is the clock chip or corrosion on SPI ROM data lines. Besides that this is just a rabbit hole board.

Comment

thread bottom ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X