[SOLVED]820-00165 PPVRTC_G3H Low, ~1.3v.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMMRepair

I have an 820-00165 that had extremely light liquid to the top edge of the board (near U5110), and had no green light. Had a short on PP3v42_G3H, which ended up being the SMC (awesome). Replaced SMC, and got rid of the short, and got a green light, but no fan. Proceeded to check my rails, and found ppvrtc_g3h was only 1.28v. Hmmm. No obvious short on the line. Checked all caps on that rail and none appear to be shorted, and all look great. and replaced U1900 twice (with new/good chips), and no change. Cleaned the board well in the UC, and no change. All resistors along the circuit measure out well. The only other thing I can think of (and hope isn't the case) is a dead CPU/PCH, which is pulling down my vrtc line. Any way to confirm this? CPU/PCH does not get warm at all, of course.

I'd assumed vrtc is always present, but maybe something is missing prior to even ppvrtc_g3h being pulled up? Thank you for any assistance in advance.

dukefawks

Administrator
That should be well over 1M. Remove U1900 and all caps(4) on the line and if it doesn't go up your CPU is done. I have not much hope.....sorry.

SMMRepair

Yeah, that's what I figured. I'll check on that and update the thread tomorrow--thanks, Dukefawks. I appreciate the quick responses and help.

SMMRepair

Yep, dead CPU. Removed all associated caps and U1900, and RTG is still ~4-10kohm @ ppvrtc_g3h. Working board measures ~1.23M. Thanks for helping me confirm! Not too many parts boards for 820-00165, so not a big loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.