820-3476 keyboard/trackpad cuts in and out

arghhh

I have got two 820-3476 where the keyboard and trackpad randomly starts and stops working. Pretty sure they are not recognized as USB devices when this happens. Keyboard controller?

dukefawks

Administrator
Connect a known good trackpad+cable to the board. This boards will freak out if there is no trackpad connected and the KB and TP will go on/off. Pretty sure this will be a bad TP or cable/corrosion.

arghhh

Yea, I have definitely tested this in two good whole top cases. What if they aren't being detected as USB devices in system info? Because that may be a possibility for one of them.

dukefawks

Administrator
That is what they do if the trackpad is not working properly. USB cuts in and out. Inspect for liquid damage and corrosion again.

arghhh

I left this alone until now, and it seems to have gotten worse while sitting. It works fine when the IO board flex cable is unplugged. Once I plugged the IO board in, it does the following:
  • I can hold the option key to get to the boot menu, however once I get to the boot menu the internal keyboard/trackpad stop responding (caps lock key does not even light up). A USB keyboard works fine.
  • It will hang at the Apple logo when it tries to boot. No loading bar or anything.
PCH??

arghhh

Not sure how to test that. Should I boot it up and then just pop the airport card in while it's on? I thought airport is PCIe.

arghhh

This:

I left this alone until now, and it seems to have gotten worse while sitting. It works fine when the IO board flex cable is unplugged. Once I plugged the IO board in, it does the following:
  • I can hold the option key to get to the boot menu, however once I get to the boot menu the internal keyboard/trackpad stop responding (caps lock key does not even light up). A USB keyboard works fine.
  • It will hang at the Apple logo when it tries to boot. No loading bar or anything.
PCH??

10 char

dukefawks

Administrator
Oh yeah. Hmm, you can disable BT by removing U3510 and disable APX by removing L9501. See if it is BT or APX causing the issue.

You saud you have 2 boards, both the exact same issue?

Last edited: