2012 iMac - screen fell out about half a year after SSD replacement

Atomrepair

A while ago I got a couple 2012+ iMac SSD upgrade jobs from a local business. I hadn't taken a screen off of one of those yet, but things went smoothly.
For Macbooks, I use 3M 300LSE to tape lcd bezels back on. It is strong stuff, so I figured I could use it to put these iMac screens back on. I did notice that the original tape was thicker, but I thought that wouldn't be a problem. It was.
You can guess what happened. Earlier this week I got a mail telling me one of the iMacs I serviced had its LCD fall out and crack. I havent seen the machine yet, but the boards connectors must be torn/damaged as well. This is obviously my fault; I delivered crappy service and now that bites me in the ass. Now this service is going to end up costing me time and money. Gotta love making mistakes.

I used the wrong tape and have been looking for something that will keep the (new) screen on. I found strips specially for iMacs on ifixit, along with a comment from someone saying their screen fell off after using those strips.

So, two questions:

1. I've ordered 3M VHB 4646 tape. Its thicker stuff (0.6mm) and according to 3M, it can be used instead of rivets, screws, welds of liquid adhesives. In other words: this should be able to keep an lcd in place. I tested a small patch on some test material and it seems pretty strong... but I'm still a bit worried. Does anyone have any experience with this or similar tape?

2. As far as I can tell, I may need: LVDS cable, LVDS connector and a Power connector. I found out that the LVDS connector is probably an I-PEX 20738-040E-02, which I can order nearby for friggen €20 or more. I don't know what the power connector is, so hopefully thats not broken as well. Anyone with experience with this ''screen fell to hell' fix; any other connector or issue I'm forgetting to prepare for that may worsen my headache?

dukefawks

Administrator
Do not EVER use that tape as if it does stick you never get the LCD back off. Spend some time finding the ORIGINAL Apple refill kits on Ebay. Yes they are expensive cause they mark them up. Also do not get the Chinese rip off kits as they are also a complete PITA to get back off.
The original Apple kits are the only way to go with these. They come in 20 pieces to a box and include a special cutting wheel to open them up.

The LCD connector can just be taken from a cracked LCD if you have them sitting around. Backlight connector will probably require a donor board from China.

Also you need to address the thermal sensor problem as the HDD fan will now run on 3000RPM and fail ASD. There is no quick solution for the slim models anymore and best is to buy the OWC cables.

Inwerp

what about ifixit kits? are they any good? honestly, because the lack of supplies i did 2 iMacs with 3M tape, i use the one which is popular in mobile repair service, to get proper thickness i use two layers. i guess i gonna give both customers a call.

Atomrepair

I see I never followed up on this post. I ended up not using the VHB tape because of duke's warning. I hadn't thought about the possibility of having to take the lcd back off again in one piece.
I didnt need a new LVDS connector but did replace the other one.
I used original tape and always will for future repairs. I don't have experience with the ifixit kits and they may be fine, but I'm 'sticking with' the original ones to have the lowest risk of this ever happening again.