2011 GPU "Repair"

Inwerp

Just wanted to know what do you guys think about it.
Since no one can really replace this chips with the newer one, i am providing my customers something like a "you asked for that shit repair":
1. Reflow
2. Liquid metal + MacFanSpeed to always keep GPU under 60°C
3. 1Y free software+hardware patch "warranty" if shit fails. if shit fails, i remove drivers(actually replacing them with dummy ones so it survives update) and disable GPU in NVRAM(in addition writing chron script to re-apply it every boot).

my customers are aware of all shit that could happen, first mac was "fixed" this february, no one returned since then(of course, i am trying to convience people to buy a PC or other mac instead of this shit but you know in germany if someone wants to repair it - he will try every single repairshop in town)

Last edited:

Gurmon

If you don't have stock of NEW chips now, its time to move on. Why create all that extra work for yourself. Its a false economy.

dukefawks

Administrator
New chips can be found, I have a few hundred at the moment so still good for another year or so. Option 1 and 2 are worthless, 3 may be ok.

Alan.L

can someone confirm if that works? i have a full unit here gathering dust.

i guess these wires bypass backlight circuit since thats one of the main functions of the GPU.

dukefawks

Administrator
The GMUX bypass does work, but way too much time wasted for me to go do that and backlight control does not work.

No I cannot give you a link to chips for sale as the real deal is only sold when you are "in the know". The availability is so limited that unless you have good connections in China and willing to spend $30-50K the only thing you will get is junk, sorry.

Noguinfor

Ok Duke, What do you think of the chips they are selling on ebay for 170$ provider: SEE ?? in your's opinion are originals?

Inwerp

well, so actually chips are unavailable like I said.

GMUX bypass is somehow better since you don't need to fiddle with OSX kexts to disable the GPU like you do if you cut the GPUVCore.
it also works if you get a fried board with bubbles under the GPU chip like the guy on this video.

Nick

Hi, I tried the mod albeit I went on a different patch for the lvds enable but the mod works. No back-light control but nothing happens if you do a pram reset compared to the efi mod. Duke is right tho. This took more time than replacing the Gpu itself albeit it is an "immortal" mod compared to the amd that will inevitably die

ZEkp8rk.jpg

WIGL96w.jpg

G.Beard

i wonder if this will work on those occasional blank screen issues after fitting a new chip.
When I see a board with a green dot of paint on the chip I know it's been fucked up so they get refused because most of the time they blank screen after a new chip.
So far I have only had one other UK based BGA service confirm they have seen the green painted dot of death on the chip. Normally on pin one corner.
I guess if people are willing to pay, I might have a crack at this on otherwise refused boads.

Nick

you can do this mod on a popcorned chip as long as you remove r8911. better to completely remove the chip too tho if it is that badly ruined

Nick

Nick, this will work well only with intel HD??

unless you wanna do video editing with a 2011 machine then yeah it works fine as facebook and youtube machine. the battery lasts waaaay longer if you remove the resistor. I am using that modded one as tool in the shop when i need to work on other mac's software and crap. so it does its job fine. only thing is that you lose brighnteness control and external video port

this is the mod i used

I’m thinking of trying this out on some 256mb boards I have laying around - have a couple of questions.

What is the brightness level stuck at, since it can’t be adjusted?
Does it work with all configurations (256mb - 1Gb)?
Remove just U9270 or all 5 resistors/cap as well?
Fuse between R9655 and R9250 is just added protection?
Otherwise it’s just plug and play?

Thanks for sharing!