Post-repair testing - how far do you go?

Atomrepair

I'm curious what steps you guys take to test a repaired machine and how you guys do it.

Myself, when a repair was an obvious fix like a missing component, damaged lvds connector or blown filter someplace, I'll check whatever wasn't working and if its fine, then I assume the rest of the machine is as it was before and send/hand it back to the customer.
When it wasn't obviously fixed completely, like liquid damage, I'll check keyboard, trackpad, battery, webcam, wifi and audio. Do you go over every usb, sd card slot, audio jack and so on to make sure everything works on a repair like that, or skip certain things and hope for the best?

JohnB8812

Depends. If it's something obvious like you said, I call it good. I typically run ASD or internal diagnostic after all repairs. On things like U8900 on 3332 or extensive liquid damage repairs, I typically stress test them.

dukefawks

Administrator
I test everything of course. Boot OSX, test all keys, test iSight, check battery status, set clock correct, check BT, WiFi. On machines with GPU run "Heaven" for a few minutes.

PCTRONICS

I test everything, nothing worse than a returning customer because you forgot to plug shit in or keyboard is screwed. on off button not working. when a customer returns because of a fuck up they usually want it done on the spot, its not worth the hassle. good practice would be to have a standard checklist that consists of a 5 min check. document the check in the invoice as well to safeguard yourself.

Bad Apple

I'm with the test everything group and agree with PCTRONICS about the dreaded returning customer. I also use a word document with a checklist that I go over with the customer upon pickup. It takes five minutes to run the manual peripheral test as opposed to ASD. (See attached Doc)

I keep a copy in the customers file in case they develop amnesia a few months later and use the argument "It was like that when I picked it up' or "I never used it since I picked it up..... it was in the closet until today" The fact that I leave a copy on the desktop also helps keep them honest.

Another good reason testing all the peripheral's is there could be another issue they forgot to mention. I had one yesterday that had a bad camera on a MBA, when I went through my checklist with the client he acknowledged it was broken and didn't use it. I didn't get an additional repair but It is now documented that it was a failed camera before it came to my shop.

I usually run a yes command in multiple terminal windows to heat things up after I do a thermal, but I will try Dukes preferred Heaven on GPU models.

Attachments

• Quality Control Checklist.docx
    21.9 KB · Views: 10